pvthach's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, January 6th, 2020 12:00 AM

Closed

Comcast is blocking IP with no justification

I connect to my home network using OpenVPN from my work.  Recently was unable to my home network because Comcast blocked my IP I used to connect from work.   I am unable to get Comcast to explain why the IP was block.   https://internet.xfinity.com/  shows that IP block was because 

"We've blocked a known malicious IP from United States from access this device".   The device I am trying to connect to is my home NAS.   This NAS has services running that are access internationally.    I don't need Comcast to block IP for me.   I have already done this by region using Synology.   How has Comcast designated my IP from data center in NJ (192.81.128.37) as malice IP?    Comcast needs to stop doing this!

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

4 years ago

Try contacting this team concerning this;

Comcast Customer Security Assurance.

Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Ok figure out what I needed to do.

Login into Comcast modem/router.   Go to the Firewall menu.   Set the firewall level to "Custom Security", from there one of the options is to 'Disable entire firewall'

I wish it had more advanced features like allow me to create IP whitelist.   But I am more than happy to use my own device to do that.   

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

4 years ago

O/k, so just curious as to what other hardware firewall you have on your network ?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I have both Comcast and AT&T fiber.   I plan on having dual WAN.    For now I just want the Comcast modem/gateway to work.   The Comcast device is Model:TG3482G.   The Comcast device firewall had been disabled.   I have port forwarding open to OpenVPN running on Synology NAS.   This would work but every time, I have to reconnect the VPN it would fail and I have to restart the Comcast modem/gateway for it to work.   I am pretty sure the issue is with Comcast device as I can reproduce this issue.

Maybe I have to disable firewall on IP4 and IP6 setting.   Currently, I had disabled the firewall on IP4 only.   I'll try again and let you know.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

4 years ago

Have you consulted the team at that number I supplied about this ?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I called 888-565-4329 and with the help of Comcast agent, found the options to disable the 'Adv protection' that came with the unlimited internet that I paid for.  For anyone in similar situation the options is in https://internet.xfinity.com/more , 'my Service' then disable 'xFi Advanced Security'.    I was thinking that disabling the Firewall at the Comcast modem/gateway would also disable the Firewall, but it was not.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Yeah, you would think it ends there and everything is working.   Nope!

Even with the xFI Adv Security disabled.   It continues to block different IP,  creating blacklist without an option for me to create my own whitelist.

I got a ticket open, so hopefully, someone knows what they doing.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Did you ever figure out what would solve the issue

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@Avionn wrote:

Did you ever figure out what would solve the issue

The answer was written further down the initial post, right above yours. 

As underlying issue on this thread is resolved, I'm closing it.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here