U

Sunday, March 10th, 2024 3:45 PM

Closed

Coax to ethernet for new router

My internet service comes in via coax and I want to connect to a new router that only has ethernet cable connections

5 Messages

7 months ago

I see multiple Moca adapters for converting existing room coax cable with an adapter at each end but all I need to to connect my main net coax to my new wireless router 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

My internet service comes in via coax and I want to connect to a new router that only has ethernet cable connections

What is the router's model number? Coax cable needs to connect to a modem or a combination modem/router gateway device. If your router is the stand alone type with only Ethernet connectors, you need to add a modem between the coax line and the router.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

5 Messages

7 months ago

That was my thinking but Best Buy Geek said the new routers are also modems 

I bought to replace an older Netgear AC1900 which has a coax input  and serves as both modem & router 

Recycle and Save

TP-Link - Archer AX3000 Pro Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Route

5 Messages

They did say I needed to have Comcast come out and change my connection.  Not something I want to deal with

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

@user_e2y350​ 

Don't believe a lot of what Geek Squad say, obviously what they gave you is a stand alone router and doesn't include a modem.  I do shop at best buy but I always know what I'm shopping for.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax3000-pro/#specifications says:

System Requirements: Cable or DSL Modem (if needed)

You need a cable modem to use a stand alone router like this one.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

5 Messages

Thank you for the quick reponse

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @user_e2y350, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I'm happy to check on the equipment needed for internet. 

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here