CicelyW's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 6th, 2021 1:00 PM

Closed

Coax outlet not working - is this something a tech could fix?

I moved to a new apartment about a month ago and transferred my Xfinity internet to the new address (self install, just moved my equipment). There are three coax outlets. Two in the living room, one in the bedroom. The bedroom one is the only one I can actually get internet from. I tried my router and modem in both of the living room outlets, and got the "connected but no internet" message.

Having the gateway set up in the bedroom is just not working. I only get decent speeds when I'm in there. It's a pretty small apartment, just 620 sq ft, but my internet connection is the living room is awful. I just did the internet speed test and it was 1.8mbps (plan is speeds up to 15, which I can get next to the gateway). Some days are better than others, but streaming is hit or miss, pages time out because they were loading too slowly, and Zoom are impossible. That's a big problem because I'm interviewing for jobs right now.

Would it be worth it to have a tech come out? Is it possible to activate one of the coax outlets? Any other ideas are welcome.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

With an apartment, you’ll need a tech. It’s probable who was there before you only needed one outlet live. You could take a look around your apartment for a blank wall plate with a splitter or cable connection behind it

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

In some of the apartments I've lived in, the coax outlets connected to a TV antenna in the attic.  Since you're trying to communicate across short distances, I think you're probably having issues with congestion/interference.  Depending on how quickly you can get anyone to look at it, you might want to get an ethernet cable and just plug-in to make the Zoom interviews better.  (If your laptop doesn't have Ethernet, there are USB to ethernet adapters for about $15.)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here