R

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, July 27th, 2021 7:59 PM

Closed

CM1200/CM2000, Asus RT-AX86U, & Comcast 1.2Gb internet

Final Update: So in the very end, I believe this was not a modem, router, cable line or any device issue. This was an issue of not being provisioned right and messing with the main cable line tap, was the reason why I got my full provisioned speed - something along those lines. Now with my CM1200 with LAGG enabled, to my RT-AX86u with LAGG enabled, I am getting 1200+mbps to all my connected devices. Using the 2.5g output port on the router into my desktop pc with an Asus PCE2500 ethernet card I am seeing fantastic results.

So, if you have these 2 devices you can at least save yourself money and don't need to upgrade your modem to access higher than gigabit speeds even when comcast says the CM1200 doesn't support more than gigabit speeds. Thanks for everyone elses help across many different forums and calls.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue: I've got comcast 1.2GB speed, provisioned 1400Mbps and I want to take full advantage of what is paid for. Currently getting 940mbps across all devices.

Equipment:
New CM1200/CM2000 modem.
New Asus RT-AX86U router.
New Cat6a patch cables.

Sketchy cable line with tight connections.

Question: How can I get this to work or is it already working?

Method/Results: I've got Ethernet Port Aggregation turned on the CM1200 and have 2 cat6a cables going into my Asus router from its 1 & 2 ports... The router has WAN aggregation turned on and instructs to plug the cables into the 1Gb wan port and Lan port 4. At this point, the router should be receiving full signal and spread 1200mbps across all devices connected, but it still topped out at 940mbps.

The above wasn't working so I bought a CM2000 and connected the 2.5g into the 2.5g port on the asus rt-ax86u turned off any aggregation and still did not get provisioned speed.

I spoke with 4 comcast reps who all confirmed I was receiving the correct signal.

Notes: In order for my devices such as my PC to get 1200mbps since it does not have a native 2.5g port, I would need to either buy a 2.5g+ network card with lan aggregation which is super expensive and bond lans 1&2 on the rt-ax86u and the card to get that speed, or I can use wan aggregation across the CM1200 to the Rt-AX86u and use the routers 2.5g lan out a cheap 2.5g network card on my computer and get provisioned speed... saving $$$$. Wifi is ignored.

I can confirm it was a bad cable line. My own wire was run from the tap and I am now getting 1300mbps+ with the CM2000 & RT-AX86u. Check your cable lines. I will retest with the CM1200 with aggregation enabled and update!

Update: I had the old cable line hooked back up and plugged the CM1200 back in, reactivated, and now I am getting 1300+mbps over aggregation between the RT-AX86u and the CM1200 across multiple devices, totaled. This process has been insanely frustrating for me but I have learned a lot but ended up doing nothing. At this point in my conclusion, it seemed like "unplugging the cable line & plugging it back in" worked, (for whatever reason that may have sent a new provision from 940mbps to 1200mbps, all ethernet cables kept the same, so I'm not sure if any/what variable actually changed, connections were super tight before, all reps said I was receiving the correct strong signal the entire time, maybe nothing happened), moving on, I'll be returning the CM2000.  I'll update once again when I get my network card for my PC and can access all 1200mbps+ from one device and see if everything is working properly that way.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I can confirm it was a bad cable line. My own wire was run from the tap and I am now getting 1300mbps+ with the CM2000 & RT-AX86u. Check your cable lines. I will retest with the CM1200 with aggregation enabled and update!

Update: I had the old cable line hooked back up and plugged the CM1200 back in, reactivated, and now I am getting 1300+mbps over aggregation between the RT-AX86u and the CM1200 across multiple devices, totaled. This process has been insanely frustrating for me but I have learned a lot but ended up doing nothing. At this point in my conclusion, it seemed like "unplugging the cable line & plugging it back in" worked, (for whatever reason that may have sent a new provision from 940mbps to 1200mbps, all ethernet cables kept the same, so I'm not sure if any/what variable actually changed, connections were super tight before, all reps said I was receiving the correct strong signal the entire time, maybe nothing happened), moving on, I'll be returning the CM2000.  I'll update once again when I get my network card for my PC and can access all 1200mbps+ from one device and see if everything is working properly that way.

So far if you have these 2 devices you can at least save yourself money and don't need to upgrade your modem to access higher than gigabit speeds.

See main post for final edit.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

3 years ago

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

I have that same router, I use the dual wan setup, instead of Ethernet port Aggregation, it works perfectly, it’s setup just as you described, except dual wan, you just have to feed it two 1000Mbps connections

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I've called Comcast many times and they say my modem is provisioned correctly, but never have received more than 940MB w/ a (now) 1.4GB plan.  Tried your trick of unplugging the cable, waiting a minute then plugging it back in...even rebooting the modem afterwards -  but no joy.  Did you unplug it w/ the cable modem running? 

WAN aggregation with my MB8600 to my Asus (where the status shows success 2GB) still results in slower internet speeds measured from my Asus AX86U running their latest firmware.  Encouraged to see some people have success, but frustrated I can't seem to find the magic config.

Did you end up setting your router for WAN aggregation, or dual WAN as suggested by jlavaseur?

Darn, apparently AIProtection is not available with dual WAN in load balance mode.  I can't imagine failover mode could result in more speed than my single line.  Since I like AiProtection I'm going back to WAN aggregation with the hope that's how you have your router configured.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here