Snuffles2004's profile

Contributor

• 

82 Messages

Tuesday, June 7th, 2022 8:33 PM

Closed

Close proximity Xfinitywifi Hot Spots

First off let me be clear I have NO issues of my phone connecting to xfinitywifi or XFINITY hotspots as I walk the neighborhood and most business that have it.

The problem I have is when I am in my mother's retirement community building.  Signals are strong in many places in the building. Residence have to provide their own services. Xfinity and ATT Uverse are the only local options. Some of the building is pretty dead hotspot wise too.

My mother has no personal service, so have to rely on others with Xfinity who's equipment broadcasts xfinitywifi or the secure XFINITY.

Several places like my Mother's apartment have decent signals, but always say failed to get a IP. I can't figure out why unless there are too many xfinitywifi hotspots and they get confuse. Any idea how to correct the issue?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 years ago

@Snuffles2004 I appreciate you taking time out of your day and want to ensure you’re able to get in touch with an awesome Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account-specific requests over this platform. Have you tried calling or texting 1 (888) 936-4968, or reached out to our secure online chat at https://comca.st/3NGfgyF where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7?

Contributor

• 

82 Messages

@XfinityOrlandoM​ thanks for the responce, but I am not a mobile customer. My mobile service is Verizon. So I doubt they will want to help.

I am a home Internet customer. And this xfinity hotspots is a product benefit of that and should not matter any account info since it works almost everywhere else I go other than the retirement community in some places in the building if you read my message VERY carefully.  Internet support should be the ones to help. They could at least confirm if having several hotspots in close physical proximity could confuse a mobile device such as a apartment building where many seperate routers are around the transmit the xfinnitywifi/XFINITY hotspots.

Also, Xfinity support on weird/strange problems in general is a total waste of time from 99.9% of past experience. Most online/voice support in general don't really read the problem. To be honest, I don't think you did either from your responce. If it isn't in their little scripts on the computer, they have no clue. This problem I will just throw my hands in the air  if no one can help me here than try to deal with a first line support rep. They are worthless help in most cases. Sorry, but I just have no confidence. Again, been there, done that.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

My apologies for the experience that has made you lose confidence. There are many things that can affect your ability to connect to the nearest hotspot. We would need the account the hotspot is connected to troubleshoot. The account holders are the only ones who can disable their hotspot to limit the amount of broadcasting. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

82 Messages

Come on now. Think outside the Xfinity troubleshooting protocal box How can I tell you the account of a hotspot I can't connect to or have physical access too?

It is like several years back getting a fallen trunk cable down resupported on the pole behind a neighbor's house who had no account. There is no way to report it because the stupid system would only allow them to investigate if I gave them my info that really had no bearing on the problem. And when I finally did, they came knocking on my door with a big question look on their faces, what the problem is. I am not playing that game again. 

About all I can do is tell you a street service address, but NOT individual apartments for the many accounts with hotspots in the building.

The building is at 1145 ARBOR DR
DECATUR, IL 62526 

My initial post already says I see the hotspots. So they are enabled. Again you did not full comprehend my original post.

Here again I have to explain myself again and again because tech support can't read and comprehend. I CAN connect to the hotspots at my house, as well as MOST places where my phone goes. 

Guess I am done here unless you give me more hope in a reply. Sorry to be so negative,  but again Xfinity just is no help on weird/strange problems. Thanks for trying.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

@Snuffles2002 Please turn off then turn back on the Wi-Fi on your device and look for the xfinitywifi signal in the device connection manager. You can also locate a nearby Xfinity Wi-Fi Hotspot at https://comca.st/3H7GT1h. Home Hotspot availability is subject to the host customer's decision whether to enable or disable the feature on their Wireless Gateway or to turn the device on/off. Availability is also subject to service maintenance and interruptions.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

82 Messages

XfinityThomasC Sounds like a total waste of time to disable and renable. I am sure I have done that in the past, but to please I will do that short easy task when I get back to that building in question Sunday morning.

But just to prove my phone works in general, I just left my house to get away from my router, past what appeared to be a dead spot for XFINITY or xfinitywifi hotspots and till it reconnected about a half block away. See it connected to XFINITY, and I switched to xfinitywifi. So see my phone does normally connect. See the attached screenshots I hope.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

Living in a building like that the location of your mother's apartment may be too close to equipment that can interfere with signal due to RF interference.

The available Wi-Fi you show are all nearby apartments with passworded Wi-Fi. They are not usable hotspots.

Unless she knows one of the people maybe they would let her connect sometimes.

Her best option is for you to find one or more common areas where she can connect to a hotspot.

That's a problem for many senior facilities... The same could be said for many apartment buildings.

Contributor

• 

82 Messages

@MNtundraRET​ thanks much for confirming what I thought. Mom can't even deal with a regular phone these days at almost 98. It is just for my visits. I had thought about asking other residents. I don't really think there is other interferences other than the sheer volume of routers in a particular area. Mom is at the end of a hall, so little if any of other equipment I would think. It was after a new next door neighbor moved in, problems started at her place.

There is a unsecured guest hotspot, in the central core of the first floor, like the lobby and dining area. But for like WhatsApp calls to my brother, it is not great. I just wheel Mom to a good XFINITY hotspot, and had great communication to Spain when they were there.

Thanks again.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

Parents in their 90's can be a real problem. My mother would forget to charge her portable phones, how to use the answering machine, and replacing the batteries in her hearing aids. She could only handle the analog phone.

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here