L

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 12th, 2021 2:00 AM

Closed

Cisco DPC394IT connect to home ethernet jack

I live with an Xfinity gateway (Cisco DPC394IT) and I want to plug in my work laptop as a wired ethernet connection, but I'd prefer to not run a cable the length of the apartment.  The apartment has jacks in most rooms that have a cable and an ethernet port (one coverplate has both).  What do I need to do with the gateway to make it communicate through such jacks?  I have used Cat5e to connect the jack to one of the four ethernet ports on the back of the gateway.  (The jack I used is the one beside (same coverplate) the co-ax cable outlet that the gateway uses.)  I cannot seem to make my laptop recognize that there is an ethernet connection.  (I get "Network cable unplugged").  The image below is the jack in the room I have my computer, but I think you can get the idea.

Is there something I need to do with the gateway to activate the connection?
Although it's possible that the jack doesn't connect to anything, I want to believe nobody was that sadistic, so there should be a way to do this.  I've done plenty of rebooting and resetting the gateway.  My computer works with ethernet elsewhere, it's just in this apartment that I have problems.
Please guide me!
Thank you,
Lisa

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 years ago

No. You don't need to do anything special as when the gateway device is in its default router mode, any ethernet / LAN port on it should work to backfeed all of  the home's wall outlets. Typically all of the rooms outlets lead to one central location / panel somewhere. You need to find that and make sure that that room is connected to it.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here