U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 4th, 2022 11:46 AM

Closed

Changing the public IP address

I'm pretty certain my home's IP address has been publicly exposed, so I'd like to nip any potential issues from that in the bud and have it changed. I have tried to contact Xfinity support, but they've been predictably useless and just directed me to this article which has nothing to do with the public IP address: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/releasing-and-renewing-ip-address

I need to change the public IP address, not the local one that this guide applies to. I have a standard xFi Gateway box, "Voice and Gateway Modem"; Is there anything I can do through it for this that actually works (no, powercycling for a minute or however long does not work)? Are there any actually useful support personnel that can reassign an IP? At worst, would buying my own router do the trick?

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

3 years ago

Hi! I'm not an official support but I'd like to offer my help!

Absolutely you can change your external IP address as you are not
paying for a static IP address that means you are on a dynamic IP address.

To change your external IP you need to swap out your Xb7 in the store or

Bridgemode your Xb7, connect your Xb7 to a router, configure router to show
up as PC MAC address instead of looking like a router so Xfinity doesn't deny your DHCP request,
and then presto in about 10-20 minutes and maybe with just one power cycle of your main modem

You'll be handed a new external IP address by Xfinity DHCP.
Special note: New IP [Edited: "Inflammatory"]

I personally have to swap and reactivate my equipment every time I want to use
my service regardless of how much data I have used!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not official Xfinity support [Edited: "Inflammatory"]
I'm offering support to all other cases hoping someone looks at mine.
https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/upload-drops-02000-kbps-unstable/6220b1aaaef5c36d133d6334

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, @user_13e9e8. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us via our Forums page. We appreciate you being proactive about this potential issue and we are grateful for the fact that you have reached out to us on here. I apologize for the misunderstanding that occurred when you reached out and the incorrect link was provided for what it is that you're trying to do. If you need help with getting your modem swapped out, it would our pleasure to assist you. If you need help getting this done, please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address so that we can assist you further. 

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

If you would prefer to take the modem to your local Xfinity Service Center you can do that as well. This link will give you an overview of the Service Centers across the nation so that you can find choose the one that works best for you. Please let me know if you run into any issues accessing the link. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am also facing a similar issue thanks.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@user_932073​ 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 4-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here