09KR0058's profile

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

Monday, October 18th, 2021 5:52 PM

Closed

Can't Access Status Page On New MB8611 Modem

After getting the notifications from Comcast that my modem was not allowing full use of my bandwidth, I just replaced my Arris Surfboard SB6183 with a new Motorola MB8611.

With the Arris, I was able to get to its status page at 192.168.100.1 without any issues from a PC on my network, through my Netgear R7000 AC1900 router.  After swapping to the new modem, I cannot reach the login page that way.  It just times out after about 30 seconds.  I then plugged an ethernet cable directly from a Windows laptop to the back of the modem.  That also just times out.

I had posted this in a previous thread and was asked to start this new thread.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

@09KR0058 wrote: "I then plugged an ethernet cable directly from a Windows laptop to the back of the modem.  That also just times out.

I had posted this in a previous thread and was asked to start this new thread.

As stated in that other poster's thread. If you haven't, you need to power cycle the modem when you try that, and then again when you re-insert the router into the path.

So did the above apply ?

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

Sorry, I meant to ask a question about the order should the power cycle be done.

When connecting a laptop directly to the modem, do I then perform the power cycle or should it be done before connecting?

Same question for when connecting the modem to the router.  Power cycle before connecting or after?

Thank you

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

After connecting is best.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

Finally got a chance to test this again last night.

I booted up the laptop, connected directly to the router and power-cycled it.  Still having the same issue connecting to 192.168.100.1.  It just times out after about 30 seconds.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thank You

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior issues. YMMV. Good luck !

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks EG.  I'll try that over the weekend.  Any idea if I'll need to go through the setup step with Comcast again?  When I installed this new modem, I went through the procedure on their website to set it up.  This also has me wondering if, while going through that process, Comcast somehow disables local access to the modem.

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

A hard reset to factory defaults should not cause a modem to lose its provisioning / activation status.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

Well, sad to report that its still not working, even after doing the reset and connecting directly to it.

Obviously very frustrating, especially given that the last two modems I've used worked perfectly.

I sent an email to Motorola support last week but still haven't heard back from them.

Unless someone has any more ideas on what to try, I guess I'll have to take this one back to Best Buy and try another brand.

:-(

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

After many back-and-forth emails with Motorola support, they finally admitted that I should take it back.

Going with the Arris SB8200 this time.  The SB6183 I had worked flawlessly for about 3+ years.

Thanks for all the help!

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

Good luck !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here