U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, January 8th, 2022 11:22 PM

Closed

Cannot reach "https://thepiratebay.org/" with or without a VPN on my PC, but my Android phone browser can?

For over a year now, I cannot reach "https://thepiratebay.org/" with or without a VPN on my PC, but my Android phone browser can?  Every time I try to access thepiratebay.org website on my PC I get this error:

Unable to connect     An error occurred during a connection to thepiratebay.org.      The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Happens with and without Nord VPN turned on. The Android browser on my Xfinity deal Galaxy phone connects to TPB just fine, so it is NOT blocked by Comcast - at least on a phone to wifi connection.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

167 Messages

2 years ago

Ya Im guessing you're aware that the content on that site is questionable as far as ownership and compounded by visitors overt efforts at anonymity along with the potential for malware associated with files shared peer to peer. 

Just my .2 Cents

Thanks and good luck.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

2 years ago

What browser are you using ? Comcast does not block that site. I reach it with the Chrome browser on Win 10. Have you tried using a different browser on your machine ?

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

That website is one of the most maliciously dangerous websites.  It is heavily blacklisted for a reason.  I know that is not the answer you want, but it is the best advice that can be given...do not visit that website.  No matter how 'protected' you think you are, you are still vulnerable.  There is no way to protect yourself from malicious software when you visit that site, no matter what you may 'think'.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

"Ours is not to reason why".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

At 69 I have built and used more pc's than most will ever own. Thanks for the concern of bad content or malware, I am solely responsible for any downloaded content.  My problem is I cannot reach the website.  I have tried 6 different browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, MX5 (Maxthon), Safari for pc and Opera. 

This site can’t be reached    thepiratebay.org refused to connect.    ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED  

Check your internet connection.

This forum doesn't seem to allow pasting a "snipped" image, so the shown quotes were copied from the Opera browser.  It has to be something buried in my pc, my daughter's laptop connects from here just fine.  I remember being able to edit the "cookie" folders in browser's decades ago.  I would think that downloading completely different browsers would work around any cookie problem in an older browser.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated. 

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

2 years ago

FWIW, many DNS providers blacklist and permanently block that site, and for good reason.  I wish I had a solution to your problem, but I don't.  I am 65, and have been building computers since the days of the Zenith Heathkit.  I also have a background in IT. Perhaps you can try workarounds such as a VPN, TOR, or similar.  Perhaps you may find a way to work around any blacklisting put in place by your current setup.  Good luck.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

2 years ago

... many DNS providers blacklist and permanently block that site ...

I can reach the site using my Comcast Internet connection and its DNS servers, so it would appear they are not blocking it.

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

@BruceW That shows that the DNS provider you are using has not blacklisted it.  FWIW, I would not visit the site; it is one of the more egregious sites for malware. 

Contributor

• 

167 Messages

2 years ago

FYI - https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/thepiratebay.org.html

Just my .2 cents.

Thanks and good luck.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here