user_rn0945's profile

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, September 20th, 2022 4:02 AM

Closed

Can no longer copy large files 2GB and greater to Dropbox, Backblaze, or AWS after planned downtime to enhance the Xfinity network 9/13

Comcast texted on 9/12 saying they were going to have downtime to enhance the Xfinity network on 9/13. The outages happened and then again the next day on 9/14 as well. Following this my ability to upload large files greater than 2GB was now losing connection more than 50% of the time. Many times files would get more than halfway through the upload and then error out with a connection terminated error from the client program uploading the file.

Dropbox was tried in both firefox and chrome webclients.

Backblaze using b2-linux

AWS using aws s3

All were failing with error messages I have never seen happen before the upgrade.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

You might have better luck with rsync over ssh with these options.  You'll still have to restart it if the connection closes with a broken pipe:

--inplace               update destination files in-place
--partial               keep partially transferred files
--append                append data onto shorter files
--progress              show progress during transfer

Take a look here for connection problems, especially the "Check your signal levels" section:  https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/internet-troubleshooting-tips/602dae4ac5375f08cde52ea0

Perhaps your connection isn't very stable in the first place now.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I've logged into my cable modem and retrieved this info. There are many uncorrectables in the downstream but not really having issues there. More of an upstream issue although I don't know if these numbers are problematic. Will look at eliminating noise in my cable line and see if these numbers improve.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Most definitely, the uncorrectable errors aren't good.  That's not helping.  I also don't like the skew on the downstream power.  Should be pretty close on every channel.  Upsteam?  Meh.  Well, you can't see upstream receive power on that one (most of them).    

I guess you're looking for splitters, kinks in cable.  Perhaps cable end oxidation.  Anything that causes a reflection.  Take them apart, scuff up the center connector.  It's not terribly awful, but it's not right. 

If you get stuck, you need a tech visit.  If there aren't any splitters, and it's not on your end in the house, that's free.  If it IS in your house, or they find splitters, it is not. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@flatlander3​ Thanks. I do have a two-way splitter right at the access point that goes about 30 ft to my modem. Wasn't actually using the second way but I'll eliminate that see what happens.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@flatlander3​ so I replaced my RG59 coaxial cable with RG6 and changed my two-way splitter to a single coaxial connector and it pretty much eliminated all the uncorrectable errors I was seeing at my modem. However, the problems persist with connections being reset while uploading large files. I'll try malrauxcp's suggestion below with the modem bootfile.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

2 years ago

@user_rn0945 

Your post with that pic of the error log entries was marked as being "Private" by the forum software because it contains CM MAC and the CMTS MAC addresses. They are considered to be personal information. The posting of personally identifiable information is a violation of their forum guidelines. Please delete that pic only.

What you can do instead is to copy and paste all of the text (instead of using an image) but you'll need to redact all of the CM MAC and CMTS MAC addresses. The forum bot will not allow your post to be seen publically.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@EG​ Thanks... didn't notice that was in there.. deleted the log as it's probably not relevant anyway.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

2 years ago

@flatlander3 wrote:

"Well, you can't see upstream receive power on that one (most of them)."

FWIW. Actually, it's all of them. That value can only be read by Comcast employees by them polling the CMTS.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I'm having this exact same problem since the "upgrade". Large files mysteriously fail partway through the upload. I can't use rsync because this is an AWS Docker image repository, not a server. Given we just had XFinity out recently to completely replace the cable from the pole to the house, and I *didn't* have these issues before the change, this is almost certainly an issue with the upgrade and not any sort of equipment in or around the house.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

To anyone who also sees this post (and rnaegele): hit up Xfinity with a chat support request and ask them to send your cable modem a new bootfile. I just did that and it seems to have resolved the problem with uploads. I'll post again in a few days once I'm sure it's a solid fix but so far it looks promising.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@malrauxcp​ Thanks, let me know what your results are here. I'll try to get support to send my modem this bootfile.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_rn0945​ Everything is working great. No problems at all.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

****UPDATE**** Tried the bootfile with tech support and that did not help my scenario. Still running into unstable uploads. All downloads seem good. After eliminating a splitter in my line and upgrading to an RG6 type coaxial cable my download numbers I believe have improved, however, it appears to me that the upload numbers of around 33-35 dBmV is lower than what Arris recommends for the SB8200 here: https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle. Seems like they want it to be between 45-51 dBmV for it to be in spec. What does anyone recommend? Should I schedule a tech to come out?

Here's my new numbers:

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Greetings, @user_rn0945! I hope your week has been treating you well. Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave an update on our community forum. I'm sorry to hear you're still having the same upload issues, but you have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

If you could send our team a private message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live session.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here