andrews74's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Friday, May 22nd, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Can I turn my coax port into an ethernet connection?

I have three coax ports in my house with the Comcast Gateway modem plugged into the upstairs coax port. The other two are downstairs with a TV plugged into one and another in my office which is currently unused. I want to turn that coax port into a hard wired ethernet connection to plug my laptop into. What is the best way to do this? I've seen all kinds of suggestions about MoCa adapters, but not sure whether this works with Comcast and/or whether I need one (just in the laptop's room) or two adapters (one in the laptop's room and the other in-line to the Gateway modem upstairs)?

Thanks for any help.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, MoCA works with Xfinity. The settings are in your modem, (10.0.0.1) and you would only need one adapter. It should include a point of entry filter to attach where the cable enters the house for network security.

Personally, I use a powerline ethernet adapter. It'll work fine unless you've got ancient wiring (pre-70's) or need over 100 mbit speed. It's much simpler, and would probably work better for your usage case.

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 years ago

And you would need to have a MoCA capable coax splitter(s)
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here