Efischer0513's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, October 13th, 2020 4:00 AM

Closed

Can I temporarily take my router to another place and use my service there?

This is an unusual question but bare with me since remote working is our new normal. I am traveling to visit family for the holidays, but I will need to work while I am there. My mothers internet is slower, so I’m wondering if I can just bring mine and use it there for a couple weeks or if that’s impossible. Might sound crazy but worth asking! Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

No you can’t, gateways will work local to you, not around the country. If you have your own modem, go ahead but you would have to put it on your mother’s account and still have her speeds

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Efischer0513 wrote:
This is an unusual question but bare with me since remote working is our new normal. I am traveling to visit family for the holidays, but I will need to work while I am there. My mothers internet is slower, so I’m wondering if I can just bring mine and use it there for a couple weeks or if that’s impossible. Might sound crazy but worth asking! Thanks.

Are you talking about the Xfinity gateway modem/router?  If so, you would probably have to remove it from your account and add it to your mother's account, but you would still get the service her account provides.  If you want your service levels, you would have to move your service to her address or upgrade her service.  Probably not advisable to try to move your equipment.  You might investigate upgrading her service to a different level, maybe for a holiday gift.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Yes you can! You can take it anywhere and use it
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here