U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 9th, 2021 5:23 AM

Closed

can I change my modem from coax to ethernet

We just moved to an old house that does not have a coax outlet, but it does have one for Ethernet. Can I use an adapter (I have seen people mention MoCA adapter) to utilize my comcast modem (with a coax port) to connect it to our Ethernet outlet?

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 years ago

There has to be a live Comcast coax cable feed coming into your premises from the street / pole.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@EG

Thanks for responding. I can look for one more in depth. But in the meantime, would an adapter to the ethernet outlet work? I've used Xfinity with ethernet before, so I'm confused as to why I need to coax now. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@user_4117ef 

If there is a live Comcast coax feed and a cable modem or a combo modem / router gateway device somewhere, and the other end of that ethernet run to that outlet is near it, you can plug it into that modem or gateway device directly and utilize the ethernet connection. You wouldn't need MoCA at all.

I'm not at your premises to be able to see what you have, sorry.

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying. I have a modem from Xfinity that has a coax cable attached. Our house has an ethernet port. I'm trying to figure out if I can utilize an adapter to use the coax cable with the ethernet port in my house. I'm really not sure about a comcast feed. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@user_4117ef

Yeah. Hook it up and try. If the ethernet run is intact, then it will work. I don't know how to be any clearer than what I have already posted....

If any reader here can, please jump in here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Problem Solver

• 

672 Messages

If there is an ethernet outlet then it most likely was used with a switch from a previous home owner. I personally have a switch that connects two ethernet outlets for my rooms in my basement. The switch is still connected to the back of my modem on the mid floor. 

It would really depend on your wiring in your home. We do not fish wires through walls. I had to install my own ethernet outlets in my home. Xfinity services would still have to come in by coaxial to the modem. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Like EG said, there has to be coax cable as that is how the signal is delivered to your modem. You may want to trace out that ethernet cable and see what it goes to though. There may be a modem somewhere else where the coax lands.

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

3 years ago

The other consideration is that that ethernet port may actually be for DSL.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Or for Frontier/fiber.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here