Contributor

• 

49 Messages

Thursday, July 30th, 2020 4:00 AM

Closed

Bridge mode on xb7 gateway

If I change my xb7 gateway to bridge mode:

1) which Gig port should I connect my router to

2) will i get a public IP address so I can turn on DDNS and update the IP address of my connections

3) if i still get a private IP address from the gateway is there a wifi router out there that can find out the public IP address I get and update ddns for me?

4) if i switch to a motorola sb8600 does that use bridge mode and will it allow me to get a public IP address on my wifi router?

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

4 years ago

Update: so I tried bridge mode again. at first it worked just fine, my linksys wifi box got a public IP address, so far so good. well i was playing arounsi wth my other devices and disconnected the power to the gateway. when it came back up, i noticed my internet was down. I checked the linsys and noticed no public IP address (0.0.0.0). i tried to release and renew several times but nothing. I reverted to non bridge mode and it came back up. 

while in the bridge mode just before I reverted, i noticed the gateway had a public IP address (wan IP). so i am wondering if this is a "feature" aka bug with the XB7.

Has anyone successfully used bridge mode long term using the XB7?

BTW I am getting a motorola modem on Saturday so this was a test run. I am thingking of going ahead and installing the motorola since it only supports bridge mode (according to a previous post) and try again.

this will be fun/interesting

fortunately I have a strong xfinity signal in my neighbourhood so hopefully I wont need to useless customer service folks to help me migrate to the motorola. 

Wish me luck. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 years ago

@marksalmonllc wrote:

If I change my xb7 gateway to bridge mode:

1) which Gig port should I connect my router to

Port number 1.

2) will i get a public IP address so I can turn on DDNS and update the IP address of my connections

That's the way it is supposed to work when it is truly in bridge mode.

3) if i still get a private IP address from the gateway is there a wifi router out there that can find out the public IP address I get and update ddns for me?

No. When the gateway device is truly in bridge mode, you should no longer get assigned a private IP addy.

4) if i switch to a motorola sb8600 does that use bridge mode and will it allow me to get a public IP address on my wifi router?

You must mean the MB 8600 ? The MB 8600 is a straight cable modem. There is no built in router component. It is always a bridge.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

4 years ago

great, thanks for the response. I guess it did not work because I did not reboot the xb7. sounds like saturday I will be very busy:-)

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

After hours working with the XB7 yesterday trying Bridge Mode so I code use my Orbi mesh system as the router as the XB7 has insufficient coverage for the house, I had to call tech support. It turns out you can only get the XB7 with gigabit internet. As a consequence to that, the do not tell you that you cannot enable bridge mode. It disables ALL internet access. Once I disabled Bridge Mode but turned all wifi off on the XB7 and made sure that the SID was not transmitted, the Orbi now works fine.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

Hi, how do. you disable the SSID on the XB7?  I tried browsing around the admin panel on the XB7 gateway modem and I couldn't find it.  Please assist, thanks.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

4 years ago

Very confused, you said you turned on bridge mode on your XB7, but right after you said one can only get XB7 with GIg internet. what hardware do you have?

Update on my situation. I run bridge mode for a while. I tried several wi fi routers (lynksys, tp link) none worked consistenly. Then I found a nice vpn/wi fi router Gl_inet and despite not having external antennae, seems to work well. Still have problems one floor up from where the router is. I have an extender up there but maybe I need to get a different one. Will continure to investigate. 

I also have a second network in my house behind a cisco firewall where I play with different things like vmware server and a separate win10 host that I connect to externally thats why I needed a vpn. 

then I discovered that google offers for free the ability to remote desktop into Macos and windows boxes. that took away the need for VPN to my home network. BUt the geek in me says I should still do so. I wanted to have my f/w separate and not dependent on the Gl-inet box for egress from the home network. then i thought, why not turn off bridge mode on the Xb gateway, then set up forwarding to a specific udp or tcp port that happens to be the private address of my gl-inet box. i did that and it worked. I now can VPN to my gl-inet box, and I have multiple separate egress point from my network to the XB gateway. If I want resiliencey I can even get service from another provider and not be down for long if there are internet outages. pretty cool. I also use dynamic DNS to get to my vpn router so even if Comcast changes my DHCP obtained IP address, no problem, the dynamic DNS service checks evey 5 minutes and updates as necessary. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 years ago

Again. What about the original poster .@RobertWy ?

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

I will refrain from postting to XB7's from now on.

You still don't get it.............................

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here