wkarp19's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, March 19th, 2022 4:48 PM

Closed

Brand new Arris SBG10 Gateway cannot connect to Comcast Internet

I'm trying to replace my Arris SBG6580 Gateway with a new Arris SBG10.   I have called Comcast customer support and used the Xfinity app to register the new gateway.  I have correctly added the MAC Address for the new gateway.  After 11 minutes the app times out and will not accept the new gateway.  I don't remember the message but it just states not found or something like that.  I have tried this a number of times. 

I then use the Xfinity app to reinstall my old SBG6580 gateway and that works fine without any issues.   I am pretty confident that there is nothing wrong with the new SBG10 and my internet works fine with my old gateway. 

It appears to me that somehow Comcast is not accepting the MAC address of the new Arris SBG10 gateway.  I have  tried the app several times in my home and also at a friends home with the same poor results.  Is the MAC address of the new gateway not being accepted by Comcast for some reason? Please help.

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

2 years ago

What did the customer support rep say to you on the phone when you called in ? Is it brand new out of the original manufacturer's packaging ?

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@EG​ 

The rep said everything looked OK, he said he got the green check mark. Whatever that means.   At one point he suggested a tech from Comcast come out.   The guy was difficult to understand.

The SBG10 Gateway was an Amazon return in like new condition, so it was used.   The "new" gateway appeared to operate properly. I did factory reset the SBG10 before installing it.  I appreciate your help. 

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

2 years ago

That's typically what happens.. FWIW, one should be careful if buying used modems. Many times they wind up being listed in Comcast's database as having been stolen / unreturned (even if they're not) and they won't provision them for service. To be safe, buy only brand new modems in their original packaging from reputable retailers.

Would you like me to escalate this to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards ? They may be able to get it provisioned / activated for you.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@EG​ Thanks.  Yes I would like this get this gateway activated. Please escalate.  This gateway was sold by Amazon LLC which is Amazon. Not a third party seller.  I find it highly unlikely that this gateway was lost or stolen. Lots of people return items they purchase on Amazon.  I'm disappointed that the Comcast rep or Comcast did not inform me that this is why the gateway could not be activated as I spent at least 2 hours trying to get it to work.  They could simply display a message that states that the MAC address is invalid.  

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

O/k done. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

Greetings, @wkarp19. I see that you were working with our awesome Forums Expert EG on trying to get your modem activated. Please rest assured that you have come to the right place! We can definitely take a dive into this issue with activating your new modem. To get started, could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I'd like to find out too. My sbg10 is doing the same thing. I just moved and brought my sbg10 from my old house (working perfectly fine with xfinity internet) and during activation it says it can not find my modem

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, I have same issue. I used my arris surfboard SBG10 modem & router for 2 months in another location. Tried to replace my rented Comcast/Xfinity modem with the surfboard. 3 hours later…they could not provision it. 

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

2 years ago

@user_86db1d 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 4-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on an old thread can delay getting help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here