U

Friday, March 15th, 2024 5:57 PM

Closed

Blinking orange light on Xfinity modem/router

I recently installed an Xfinity XB7 modem/router and I use the ethernet ports to connect a Lenovo 320 laptop running Windows 10. I am using a new Xfinity supplied ethernet cable and when I plug it into the main ethernet port (the one with the orange stripe) I get a blinking orange light. If I plug the cable into other ports, the light is green. Everything on my computer is running properly and the internet data transfer speeds are correct according to Xfinity's tests. Everything is working properly as far as I can tell, but the light blinks orange on the main port rather than green. Any ideas on this issue?

Expert

• 

106.1K Messages

6 months ago

The port with the orange stripe is a 2.5 gigabit capable port. If you plug a device into it that has only a gigabit port, it will blink orange which indicates that only a gigabit connection has been made. The other ports show green because they are gigabit ports and a gigabit connection has indeed been negotiated with the device.

(edited)

6 Messages

Accepted. Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I thought that might be the case

Expert

• 

106.1K Messages

6 months ago

You're welcome ! So if you plug a device that has a 2.5 gigabit capable port into the port with the orange stripe, it too will be green.

1 Message

@EG​ I am having issues with orange lights when I connect my hue bridge to the router...no matter whether I use port 3 (1gb) or the red/orange striped port 4 (2.5gb). Any suggestions for me? My Hue bridge says power good, connection to router good, connection to internet bad. I cannot seem to figure out the issue despite rebooting everything in a thousand permutations. :/

Official Employee

• 

795 Messages

SpaceTex Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106.1K Messages

@SpaceTex

@EG​ I am having issues with orange lights when I connect my hue bridge to the router...no matter whether I use port 3 (1gb) or the red/orange striped port 4 (2.5gb). 

That device has only a 10/100 ethernet port, not a gigabit port (nor does it need one. It would be overkill). Hence the orange-colored indicator light.

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here