T

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, December 11th, 2021 5:21 PM

Closed

Asus router: "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly"

I am experiencing the same problems that others are with Comcast and an Asus router. The same modem (Arris SB6183) and router (Asus RT-AC5300) have been used for years. Now I am getting the same "Your ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly" error. As other's have experienced, I can connect the modem directly to a computer and it will obtain a DHCP lease and IP address, and otherwise functions properly.  I have also tried changing from aggressive to continuous and normal DHCP query frequency, reset everything multiple times. Nothing works.  The same modem, with the same router, with the same router firmware version used to work for years up until about a month or so ago.

Fortunately, for the last 2 years or so Comcast has been my backup to another provider's fiber.  I have the cable modem as a secondary WAN with auto failover/failback.  That too was working up until about a month ago.  I have tried making cable primary, and everything else possible, but nothing has worked.  Fortunately I am not completely without internet, but this isn't much of a backup, and should just get cancelled as it is.  Notably the router works just fine with the fiber provider.

I did call Comcast support.  I spent an hour of my life with a technician that knew far less than I did and was useless. After all the typical questions "did I reset, etc." he had no clue.  I pointed him the these Xfinity forum pages that he had no knowledge of.  My primary purpose was to get him to send the provisioning signals as noted as a possible solution. He didn't know how to do that, and said they don't control the modem. He had no clue of the SNMP control of the modem on the provider side - that is how, among other things Comcast can remotely reset the modem.  I wasted an hour of my life on the call with the only outcome of raising my blood pressure a few points.

Someone PLEASE HELP! Does anyone from Comcast monitor these forums?  I know there are people that have technical knowledge in Comcast, I have no clue how to reach them. 

One thought is to force a factory reset on the modem and then go through the initial sign on sequence. Would that force provisioning to the modem?

Note also that Comcast recently increased the speed of my package. That has obviously been provisioned because I am receiving the claimed download speeds. The problems started before I received the email of the increase speed, but perhaps they provisioned the modem prior to sending the email?

Someone please help!

This post was created from this comment on different post

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for reaching out @techpicky! I am sorry to hear about your current situation. We never want our loyal customers to have this experience. Our team would be happy to send a provisioning signal to your modem. If that is not the solution, we will try some additional troubleshooting steps. I will need to gather some personal information, but once we are done I will circle back around to the public forum with the resolution.

Can you send us a private message with your full name, name of account holder (if different) and service address? To send a private message, please click the chat icon next to the bell in the upper right corner. Click the “notepad and pen” button. Send the full message to our shared support handle “Xfinity Support”. We look forward to hearing from you! 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityAnna Thank you for your rapid response! I have direct messaged Xfinity support with my name, account holder name (the same), and the service address.  I look forward to the provisioning signal, and any other effort to provide resolution. Please let me know what else I can do to help resolve this.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityAnna @Xfinity Support Anna, I did as you suggested several days ago and direct messaged Xfinity support with my personal information.  I have yet to hear back from anyone at Comcast, and yes the problem still persists.  All I can say is I'm glad this isn't my primary internet!!  I really would like to get this resolved soon. Otherwise, I've found that I am eligible for a wireless provider's home internet service, and will likely change to that as backup and drop all Comcast services.  As I initially wrote, I spent an hour with online technical "support" that knew absolutely nothing, couldn't help, and didn't even know this was a well known problem. 

Please, will someone assist that has a clue at Comcast? I know there are people there that are quite knowledgeable, can you please get them to help? Supposedly, sending a provisioning signal will solve this problem.

Anna, can you also answer if performing a factory reset on the modem would force it to go through an automatic provisioning sequence? Could that be an answer since no one at Comcast seems to be able to do anything?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

So I have a asus router, not that exact one, I got that error message before, on the routers admin page I had that message posted along with a link to fix, it asks a could of questions, it basically sets up a new connection; took less then 2 minutes to fix..

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@jlavaseur Thank you for your response. I have manually checked all the relevant settings for the router. This is essentially what the setup wizard would do. I have more than a single provider and have auto-failover/auto-failback enabled with dual-WAN. All of the settings are correct for Xfinity. In fact, it was working for years without a problem with the same settings. Something has changed on the Comcast side. 

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

I agree something changed, so using the old settings obviously aren’t working, that’s why I suggested the link to the wizard, mine worked flawlessly for a long time also,  I got that error, spent 2 minutes and it was up and working, the wizard establishes a new connection, you might even have a corrupted config file…

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

I had this exact message "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" today, suddenly, after upgrading the firmware on an AC86U. ASUS FAQs say to change WAN/Internet/DHCP query frequency to "Continuous", but this did not solve the issue. What did was using the Xfinity app to re-activate the modem using the modem's MAC address. This may be the equivalent of "re-provisioning" as was mentioned in older posts about the ASUS router error message, and it may also be the equivalent of using the wizard as proposed above. I don't know, but I do know that the earnest Comcast agent I talked to said she could not re-provision because everything seemed to be working from the Comcast perspective. So don't bother calling.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here