GeogePag's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, February 27th, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Arris TG1682G USB Ports to connect printer and external hard drive

Will the Comcast Arris TG1682G allow you to use the usb ports to connect the USB cable from a printer and a hard disk to make them available on the wireless network?  If not, is this a Comcast firmware issue?  If I purchased my own compatible modem with USB  ports enabled would Comcast network settings prevent them from working?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

5 years ago

@GeogePag wrote:

Will the Comcast Arris TG1682G allow you to use the usb ports to connect the USB cable from a printer and a hard disk to make them available on the wireless network? 

The USB port is disabled, but it may be used for charging devices.

If not, is this a Comcast firmware issue? 

It's deliberate.

If I purchased my own compatible modem with USB  ports enabled would Comcast network settings prevent them from working?

No.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. I'm curious.  Why would Comcast disable the network connectivity of the  USB ports?

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

5 years ago

I believe it is because they believe that it would only lead to even more trouble calls to customer support.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Ive had a networking degree for many 10 years and i see this question so often. The most answered by comcast is that it was put there to install the software into the device. That was all they supposedly wanted it used for.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Some employees with say its for installing the software when they finish building it. But my personal opinion with no evidence is they dont want the extra strain if possible on the router, considering its a rental. You can buy a more expensive router with the usb ability but thats really your choice. There are other ways tho. If you get a NAS you can plug it into the Ethernet port and likely have no issues. The USB port being less useful is a huge bummer i also have this model, and even though ive had 10+ better faster routers. I always came back to their rentals for one reason or another. Hope this helped

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Some say it was built in for software installation after production. Others differ. I wrote a long explaination if you wish to find it few questions down 😛

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here