sacolle's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 12th, 2021 5:00 PM

Closed

Arris SB8200 not connecting to Linksys AX6000

I have been on the phone with Xfinity several times over the past several days. I had them come check my internet because I work from home (like many people now) and i get disconnected constantlly while trying to have conference calls over MicrosoftTeams.

They did find a couple issues.

1. We had a 90 degree coming out of the wall which was breaking connection off and on and making it slower. 

2. They replaced an old wire from the box in back yard to the house which was never burried. So they burried the new wire in conduit.

My work computer is working great now but the issue is, the internet signal is not getting to the wireless router. I have one ethernet cable from the modem to my computer, which works good, but the other ethernet cable from modem to router does not transmit internet signal from what i can tell. We do get WiFi signal to our devices but its just not transmitting the internet signal. We had no issues with the WiFi internet transmission before Xfinity came out but when they left we have issues. "Customer service" says they dont touch any thing past the modem but the tech guy that came out sure switch around the cables from the wall to the modem and to the router.

Xfinity refuses to send anyone out to check it.

Any recomendations is appriciated. 

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

3 years ago

@sacolle wrote:

I do have internet from modem straight to computer, but connecting from modem to router then to the computer no internet. I do get the WiFi signal on all other devices (ipads, phones, printer, tv's) but just no internet signal.

Thee 8200 is already a bridge / straight cable modem... There isn't any bridge mode feature.

Did you powercycle the 8200 after you connected the router to it ?

FWIW, you need to power cycle/re-boot the modem each and every time that you change the device that is being directly connected to it in order for that device to be able to get an internet connection.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

3 years ago

The Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is equipped with two 1 Gigabit Ethernet Ports. One port is used for the typical setup to connect one device (Wifi Router or Computer). Second Port is used for adding additional IP address for internet services. Not all ISP providers offer IP address for residential service. So if you want to provide internet access to mulltiple devices, you need to replace your SB8200 with a modem router
instead hook the cable going to your computer to the ax6000 and then connect your computer to the ax 6000

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

That did not work. I believe thats how it was originally before the "Cable Guy" came to fix. I do have internet from modem straight to computer, but connecting from modem to router then to the computer no internet. I do get the WiFi signal on all other devices (ipads, phones, printer, tv's) but just no internet signal.

Now, I do have to say that I did originally have a Linksys AC3000 router before, during and after cable guy "fixed". I figured the router just so happened to start going bad at the particular time because they do go out over time. So I took back the 3000 and got the 6000 but still didnt work.

Problem Solver

• 

341 Messages

3 years ago

@sacolle wrote:

That did not work. I believe thats how it was originally before the "Cable Guy" came to fix. I do have internet from modem straight to computer, but connecting from modem to router then to the computer no internet. I do get the WiFi signal on all other devices (ipads, phones, printer, tv's) but just no internet signal.

Now, I do have to say that I did originally have a Linksys AC3000 router before, during and after cable guy "fixed". I figured the router just so happened to start going bad at the particular time because they do go out over time. So I took back the 3000 and got the 6000 but still didnt work.

@sacolle Did you put your modem in Bridge Mode first before connecting your router? Power cycle your modem when connecting any new router.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

After re-arranging the cables back to the way they were before Xfinity came out and doing a shutdown on all equipment, it seems to be working better, for now.

Thanks for yall's responses and help.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I had the same problem connecting my Arris SB8200 to my Tp-link AC1750.  The solution given by the TP-link (https://youtu.be/Ev6iY-UU_VU) and (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/)  worked for me.  manually change your DNS Servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and then. connect only one ethernet cable from the modem to your router and then from your computer to your router.  I'm not sure of the security implications of using these (google) dns servers, but it worked for me and I hope it works for you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here