JG8863's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, November 8th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Add guest network

I just installed a new xFi Gateway modem/router. I wish to add a guest network for renters and visitor to isolate my home network. I understand Xfinity routers do not accomodate this feature. I understand it is possible to do this with a second router. My skill level is about a 6. I need specific instruction on setting this up and could use some direction to a source. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You would need to buy your own router that has the “guest” function and put your gateway in bridge mode. Or use the gateway’s hotspot feature

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks. I noticed this suggestion that you had made to another questioner. I have several routers and I'm sure one of them will have the guest feature, but being someone who is only somewhat technical, I would like to locate some guide that explains the process in more detail than you've given here. Thanks again. JG

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

New customer myself and the lack of a guest network is beyond disappointing.  Seems Comcast has hijacked the guest network feature and turned into into the Xfinity hotspot.  This is silly and makes no sense for people that live in residential neighboorhoods.  My neighbors don't need me hosting a hotspot for them.  And the answer above to use the xfinitywifi hotspot for guests is ridiculous.  You need to have a comcast login or you have to pay per hour.   😡  

Seems the only real solution is to return the Comcast router and purchase your own cable modem and router.  Yes you could use the Comcast router in bridge mode but then you're still renting their equipment.   You could also add an access point with a guest network but then there's no network security between your home devices and guest devices.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here