jeffwir's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, March 27th, 2020 10:00 PM

Closed

Add a wireless access point connected to my XB6 gateway

I have an old router that I would like to use as a wireless access point and would like to understand if that is:

1) supported

2) Are there setting that I need to change on my XB6 Gateway to make that happen

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Cannot give you an "official" answer but to my knowledge: the gateway's inside Ethernet ports form a small Ethernet switch. And you can connect whatever you like - the gateway's routing functionality shields the outside from your inside setup.
So adding an additional AP is what many people do (afaik and depending on the cabling in the house). Just make sure your old router is not running as an DHCP server as it may interfere with the DHCP coming from your gateway.

Have fun with your home networking! 🙂

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

4 years ago

@jeffwir wrote:

I have an old router that I would like to use as a wireless access point and would like to understand if that is:

1) supported

2) Are there setting that I need to change on my XB6 Gateway to make that happen

How you connect the "old router" depends on the feature(s) that it supports. A question would be, do you want to use it as a wireless WiFi repeater, or do you want to use it as a hardwired WiFi access point.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the info, I have reconfigured the old router by turning off DHCP and assigning a fixed IP address just outside the range the Comcast router manages. I then connected Ethernet cable through a switch connected to the Comcast router but for some reason I can’t connect to the internet through the WAP.???

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Apologies upfront when my questions are trivial but I still like to ask 😉

Your old router has internal/LAN Ethernet ports? And you connected on of these internal/LAN Ethernets to the switch / gateway?
I just want to make sure you don't have the external Ethernet port connected. The internal ports and the WiFi typically form one bridged L2 domain; the router is solely there to maintain the "AP" functionality. That's at least the setups I've seen (and used myself) so far.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Sounds all good ... hmm ... : when you connect to the Old-Router AP, do you get an IP assigned from the gateway DHCP server? ("ipconfig" on Windows command line, "ifconfig" for MacOS/Linux/*BSD)

And on one of my APs I have a weird option to prevent packets from Ethernet to Wireless. So if you have "weird options" too maybe one changed to an unwanted value (?).

(yes, running out of ideas on my end ...)

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Appreciate the precision of your question. Yes my old router has 4 Ethernet ports and a WAN port and I have the Ethernet cable plugged into one of the Ethernet ports. I then have the other end connected to an Ethernet port on an 8 per Ethernet switch that is connected to my Comcast router.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here