T

Thursday, May 23rd, 2024 1:30 PM

Access local server via ip

I'm working on a software development project and can't access a local server (on laptop A) by ip (from laptop B). I can access A from B via ip address at my work location but not while I'm at home.
I know the ip addresses change on different networks, so I am accounting for that. I can't even ping laptop A from laptop B on my network.

What settings do I need to change?

4 Messages

24 days ago

Forgot to mention looking for connection on specific ports, not 80 or 443

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

24 days ago

Are you attempting to use the external / public IP address ? Is this a Comcast rented gateway device ? If so, AFAIK, NAT loopback / hairpinning is disabled.

4 Messages

@EG​ It is a Comcast gateway. Not external, just local network ip 

example:
laptop A: 10.0.0.100
laptop B: 10.0.0.200

from laptop B terminal:

ping 10.0.0.100

Pinging 10.0.0.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

or laptop B (browser) 

This site can’t be reached

10.0.0.100 took too long to respond.

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

24 days ago

Hmmm. I dunno. Try lowering any and all firewall security settings. Try disabling the Advanced Security Feature.

4 Messages

I'm inclined to think network as when i'm at the office it will connect vs when at home it doesn't

and I'm seeing other things about the NAT loopback that make me think I'm out of luck at home

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

treykinzer Hi there! We're you able to try @EG's suggestioins of lowering the firewall settings and disabling the Advanced Security Feature? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here