U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, February 12th, 2022 7:39 PM

Closed

Access internal web server from inside network

I have  a web server inside my network.  I've set up port forwards to access it from outside.  I have no problem accessing the server on ports 80 or 443 (http or https) from outside my LAN by my domain name.  I can no longer access the web server from inside my LAN (this changed in the last few days) by domain name.  I have other port forward mappings and those work fine.  This is only affects ports 80 and 443. If I set up forwards on my internal router to 80 or 443 on my web server from 81 or 444, I can access the webserver from inside the LAN via those ports (forwarded on the xFinity gateway to my router). So this is only affecting trying to forward 80 and 443 on the xFinity gateway and only in the last week.

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @user_sk16. Thanks for reaching out about the ports. I know this is an obvious step but we always ensure it has been done. Did you try deleting the ports and then resetting them up using the Xfinity app? I checked but am not seeing any issues with those ports at our Engineering level and they are not on the blocked list. Do you have them set for a Static IP?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityRay​ Just to be sure...

- Deleted ports 80 and 443 from being forwarded to my Netgear Orbi router

- Restarted the Gateway

- Added ports 80 and 443 back to the ort forward list

No change in getting to my web server from my LAN. Accessible from my phone with wifi off, i.i from LTE.  Accessible from my laptop if I wifi to xfinitywifi - i.e. outside my LAN.  Not accessibl on those two ports inside the gateway.  There are 11 other ports I forward to the Orbi that work fine internally.

I do not see any static routes on my gateway and right now the firewall is off

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

Thanks for further clarifying the situation, @user_sk16. Our Xpert, @EG, has some great tips in these articles on our Forums, https://comca.st/3oORwxY and https://comca.st/34KcBmh. Have you tried the steps provided in these links? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

The first link says to toggle Advanced Security; I had it turned off already.  I also assume if Advanced Securtity had fould an issue with those two ports it would turn it off for all, not just inside (presumable safer) users.  But just to test, I toggled it on and then back off.

Link two sats to check "NAT Loopback" on my routers.  Both my netgear routers say they support this.  If there is a NAT loopback issue, it has to be on the xFinity Gateway.  If I connect to Gateway wifi, I'm blocked -- not doing loopback; If I connect outside the gateway I'm successful.  Shouldn't that be impacting more than just the two main web ports.

This was working fine at the beginning of last week

Official Employee

• 

618 Messages

Thanks for having a look. Let's take a further look into this together. 

To send a direct message [private message]:

•    Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •    Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://comca.st/3sHZj1M
  •    Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •    The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •    - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •    - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •    Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •    Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Having the same problem here, started about the same time as OP.

All was working fine before (mid February)

It has been really hard to troubleshoot.

In addition to ports 80 and 443, I am also having trouble with IMAP port 587 on internal mail server. 

Again, everything works fine from outside my LAN but trying to access the server from inside connections get no reply / timeouts. 

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

I am sorry to hear you have had the same issue with these two ports, @Yeloshak. Can you tell me what troubleshooting steps you have tried so far? Have you tried some of the troubleshooting steps provided above? I am sure working together we will get to the bottom of this.  

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I did try the troubleshooting above (toggling adv security and I have no additional routers) but the issue persists. It is still an issue today. I set up an internal DNS server that catches my requests and forwards to the internal IP address of my server and that works but frankly a real pain to reconfigure DNS manually on my devices as I still am using the Xfinity gateway for DHCP. It also breaks other things when I leave the house. So its a work around, but a messy one. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I am having the same problem here.  I'm not sure when it started but fairly recently.  Spent hours trying to troubleshoot, everything points to the xfinity gateway.

From outside my local network or thru a VPN, ports 80 and 443 work perfectly. 

When connected to my local network, I can access by private (local) IP but not via the http or https url.

I have found other ports to work from my local network, only 80 and 443 seem to be blocked. ping works with the correct i.p. address and no error is given, just no response.

I am not using Advanced Security as that blocks everything and does not allow port forwarding at all. I toggled it on and off anyway. Let me know if there is something I can try to resolve this issue.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hey, @glbarnes67, thanks for reaching out regarding your port issues. To help us get started on the same page, can you please let know if you already tried all the troubleshooting steps outlined by my peers previously in this thread? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue.  Has an answer been found?

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

Hi there @ronlm! Thanks for letting us know that you are also experiencing the same port issues. Can you let us know if you have attempted any troubleshooting steps? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Yes, I have tried the steps above. 

This was working until earlier this year, same as the other folks.  

Now I cannot access ports (http/80, https/443, ssh/22) from inside the firewall, but can from the outside.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ron

Official Employee

• 

330 Messages

Hello @ronlm Thanks for checking in with us and for trying those troubleshooting steps. If that didn't work, we can try some more in-depth troubleshooting. 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Hello, I am having this problem as well. Port 80 is showing as open and I can access it from outside but not from behind the fire wall. I also when I forward port 8080 it still says closed when I check it. Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi all. For anyone continuing to experience this issue, please create your own public post with a summary of what's going on. Try to be as detailed as possible. Thanks!

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

So we need to start over again?

Someone pushed an update to the Xfinity router and broke packets that are going out and coming back to internal servers. 

I have a dynamic DNS service that maps my domain name to my home. I make a request to https://www.myhouse.com. The DNS lookup goes fine and finds the external IP address to my house. My brower sends the request to the EXTERNAL_IP_address:443 and the packet never gets to my server.

It USED to work so we know we had port forwarding in the Xfinity router working correctly before.

It also works if I bypass the name lookup and just point my browser to INTERNAL_IP_address:443 so I know my web server is still working. 

Which means it an Xfinity issue with something that changed recently... 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

We would like to take a look at the account. Please send me a Direct Message with your name and service address so that I can fully dive into this for you! I will leave you instructions on how to initiate the message with us! I look forward to working with you soon!

- Click "Sign In" if necessary
- Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
- Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
- Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
- Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
- Press Enter to send your message

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Although port forwarding is still not acting as expected, I've gotten around the problem by adding my Fully Qualified Domain Names to hosts files on all my local clients.  Simply changing the port was not an option for me as I needed 443.  My Pterodactyl game server used a different encrypted port for the Docker Daemon, causing one request to be redirected internally and the other externally.  Now, using the hosts files, all traffic to my servers is routed internally and because I'm still using the FQDNs, the certs function perfectly.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Well, it's nice to know it isn't just me.

ALERT: I feel confident in saying that this is being done on purpose with ports 80 and 443. See the last paragraph for explanation.

• This used to work fine and nothing has changed on my network.
  • I toggled Xfinity's Advanced Security IDS off. (don't know why it keeps getting turned back on, I know I'm not doing it)
  • I've tried turning off IPv6 on the server and client side.
  • I can successfully ping the DNS name internally or externally without issue.
  • I can view the website successfully via localhost or internal NETBios name without issue from both PC and mobile.
  • I can view the website successfully via ANY public connection.
  • I CANNOT view the webpage via DNS name from any LAN PC or mobile device.

After going through all that, I decided to see if the port was the issue. I simply changed the SSL port on my webserver to a port I had forwarded for my Minecraft server since it was already port forwarded. I shutdown my Minecraft server, and changed my website's SSL port to the same port. Low and behold, the website came up via DNS name from internal devices when specifying the alternative port. This is being done specifically to port 80 and 443 only. All other services work internally via DNS just fine.

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

Hey, @smc99! Thanks for reaching out to us here on the forums. We certainly appreciate everything you have tried so far. We will need to take a closer look into this and, if need be, probably get a ticket open to get this resolved. Can you please click the Direct Message icon at the top right of the page, click on the pen and pad icon and enter Xfinity Support in the "To" section of the chat and provide us with your first/last name and full address so we may further assist you?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here