T

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, July 11th, 2023 7:30 PM

Closed

A new arris device has connect to your modem.

I keep seeing this as something that has been a several years long issue.

Well I live in a high traffic area downtown...

AND I HAVE NO WAY TO DISCONNECT THIS ILLICIT DEVICE THAT I DID NOT CONNECT TO YOUR EQUIPMENT.

When you force us low-income people to pay 100 a month just for internet service and are unable to properly provide both service

and security, what exactly are you doing again?

Now I get to spend 2 hours calling your company to find a solution because:

1- You've designed your [Edited: "Language"] customer service to specifically never answer a phone call.

2- You've forced everyone to use your [Edited: "Language"] app to manage our equipment where as it was better

when it was via the web browser. Thanks for that by the way, thanks for making it WORSE and CHARGING MORE.

3- When a person finally does answer the phone, it's 80% of the time someone in another country and they have

zero networking experience and spend 90% of the phone call apologizing.

4- Your service is randomly down for "maintenance" without notice, and if you connect to anything else nearby

and do a trace route, you see that everyone in your area is using comcast routers; (cell services and other providers) so you bring it

down for residents but it's mysteriously up for everyone else.

5- Back in the 90s when we started building all of these things, WE MADE THEM REDUNDANT; that means you could

take down a server stack of routers but have a live set up and running SO PEOPLE DON'T EXPERIENCE DOWNTIME.

At the prices you charge how do you fail to do this!?

SHAME on you Comcast.

SHAME.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

Well, in an high density situation, there's a "feature" on their equipment called MoCA.  It's TCP/IP over coax.  In Xfinity's implementation, there is no security.

What you do is install a filter that screws into your coax, that blocks the frequency other MoCA devices use so they can't connect to your gear.  You're supposed to have one, but often it's not installed especially in apartment buildings or they end up getting removed.  They're less than $10 on Amazon.  Search for "MoCA point of entry filter".  That way, your neighbors devices aren't connecting to YOUR network either intentionally, or unintentionally.

It can go right on the back of your gateway if you aren't using coax cable boxes.  If you are, it goes just before the splitter that feeds your other coax jacks and your gateway.

Now if you are actually doing a security audit, anything that you have to control with a phone app -- the least secure device you own -- is a horrid idea, especially if you are using it to control critical infrastructure.  It's also a bad idea to expose a password with a cloud server (your WiFi password does this).  I won't use their equipment, and actually can't use their gear for what I do.  They fail everyone else's security audit as well.  You can use 3rd party gateways with Xfinity, but I have to do it a bit differently with a dedicated firewall and isolate other things as well.

No, changing your WiFi password doesn't help this.  Turning the feature off on your gateway won't fix it either, it will turn itself back on when an MoCA device is present.  If you MUST use their gear for some reason, at least buy a filter. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@flatlander3​ You pretty much hit the nail dead center on the head.

anything that you have to control with a phone app -- the least secure device you own -- is a horrid idea

This is why I have everything turned off related to it, and why I am so confused as to how anything at all could have mysteriously 'connected'. It has no IP address, and doesn't seem to be doing anything. But the app is such a [Edited: "Inflammatory"] that it's not like I can do any real audit of anything. All I can do is pause it every 2 hours. Maybe I should send an invoice to Comcast for me being forced to perform security of their device every 2 hours.

Thank you so much for the filter device and pointing me in that direction.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@therealargenex​ One thing you can't do is keep anyone from attempting to connect to your WiFi -- hidden or not.

They don't get authenticated, they don't get an IP address, and they don't connect, however if they don't delete the connection after failing, the device may continually attempt to connect with the same failed password.

Change your SSID name and you might shake it.  Make sure you are using at least WPA2 personal for security in case this is a brute force WPA attempt.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hey @therealargenex. Did flatlander3's advice help or are you still having issues?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here