U

Saturday, August 24th, 2024 4:22 AM

800/100 plan barely getting 20 up. Downgraded from 1200/200 which gave me 50 up on the exact same setup.

About a month ago I updated my plan. I was on the 1200/200 tier, and at the time I was getting 50-60mbps upload. I downgraded to the 800/100 plan, and now my upload speed barely touches 20mbps. Same address, same modem, same everything, I literally only changed my plan, not my hardware. I am using my own modem which as a Motorola MB8611, which should be able to support nearly triple the speed I pay for and is on the xfinity approved list. I need to be able to do video calls and remote desktop for work but it is borderline unusable at barely 20 up. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

27 days ago

... 800/100 plan, and now my upload speed barely touches 20mbps ... Motorola MB8611 ...

The MB8611 is not compatible with the new higher upload speeds. Only a few retail devices are. See the "Next Gen" list at the top of the "All Compatible Devices" link near the bottom of https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices (at the moment it points to https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024-07-18_Full-List-of-Compatible-Devices.pdf, but this changes from time to time).

And:

You need one of Comcast's newer rental gateways (XB6, XB7, XB8) or one of the few retail devices shown in the "Next Gen Speed Tier" group with an upload speed rating in the "All Compatible Devices" PDF.  Also see the Reddit link, which lists the approved devices as well as other requirements for faster upload speeds.

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Compatible" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "compatible/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for the new upload speeds.

Comcast could make all of this much simpler and clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

2 Messages

26 days ago

That doesn't explain why my previous upload speed of 50 was cut more than half. This modem IS capable because it was literally just doing it. The only thing that changed is my package tier. Both the 1200/200 and 800/100 are X class services, and it was literally just working at 50 before changing tiers. What a crock. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here