SL237's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Mon, Dec 7, 2020 7:00 AM

100 mbps to 300mbps upgrade no improvement in download

Hello, A few days ago I accepted a promotional offer to upgrade by 100 Mbs plan to 300 Mbs. All indications on Comcast's side is that I am now on the 300 Mbs tier, however I have not experienced a change in download speed consistently seeing around 120 Mbs which is not far from what I was getting with the 100 Mbs tier.  I did however notice an immediate change in upload speed, from around 6 Mbs to 11-12 Mbs, when I accepted the offer and my modem was rebooted by Comcast.

My CM700 netgear modem has been rebooted multiple times and I have also directly connected a gigabit laptop directly to the modem with cat 6 cable, best download speed I can get is 125 Mbs. 

I am at a loss with anything else I can try within my home, seems the issue may be with how the modem is provisioned with Comcast or possibly wiring to the home. 

Responses

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 m ago

If the device you are measuring the network speed with is only capable of handling 120 Mb/s of speed that is all you will see.  If you have several devvices see if each one is a different speed. Then when you add up 300 Mb/s in all devices, run them all at the same time and see what the total is.

SL237

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

6 m ago

Appreciate the reply. I have tested speed with a laptop hardwired directly to the modem and the laptop has a gigabit network port. I made sure to remove all internal networking equipment and avoid WiFi. I should be seeing close to 300 and not close to the 100 I was getting before the upgrade.

Assuming my attached picture is visible it shows speed tests pre and post change which were made on Saturday 12/5. Note the upload speed did change, download remains virtually the same. 

SL237

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

6 m ago

Thank you EG. I decided to try one more thing before reaching back out to Comcast. I took my modem outside and hooked it up directly to the coax coming from the street, good news is that i was getting 300+ Mbs. So, i made a visiual check of the coax entering the house, into the attic and eventually into the basement. In the attic I found a section of the coax to be flattened, result of a misplaced bed frame. Also, the coax had a sligh tear just before entering the house. In any event I ran a new coax and that did the trick, i have been getting 340-360 Mbs since. In my case it paid off to check as much as i could before having a tech out, which would have cost me in the end. 

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

6 m ago

Try calling 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to completely remove the modem from your account and to "re-provision" it from scratch. Also, ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

Good luck !

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

6 m ago

Way to go ! Glad you got it squared away ! Happy surfing !

New to the Community?

Start Here