U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 5th, 2022 11:00 AM

Closed

xi6 installation

I need a wireless 4K box for one of my bedrooms (Xi6).  I am getting a run around from Xfinity.  I am told I can't order one unless I have their router.  I got their router.  Now they are telling me I have to have a technician install it ($70).  Why?  Does it have to run on their Wi-Fi?  I don't want their Wi-Fi as I have an AI Mesh.  One would think this was a simple as connecting the box to the Wi-Fi and let it call home to Xfinity.

Problem Solver

• 

513 Messages

2 years ago

Hi there, @user_cc68ed. Thank you for reaching out to us and creating a post on our forums. I understand that you want to use the wireless cable box in a room that does not have a coax outlet. However, in order to use our wireless cable boxes, it requires a connection to the gateway to receive the service from the cable box. It is not able to do so from a third party modem or router. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityEdgardo​ a person I work with is using their own router, so I am inclined to believe that you can run it without an X1 gateway.

Contributor

• 

367 Messages

Hello @user_cc68ed , thank you for reaching back. I have a link to share that will be helpful regarding the use of own equipment and wireless box. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-tv-box-faqs. Can you ask your friend regarding his setup if his own router came from the approved list of equipment? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityBrianW​ I had seen the link you have provided.  Customer Support seemed to not be aware of it and told me it was not possible even when I told them the website said I could.  Anyway, there was another problem in that I could not order the Xi6 because of a "flag" on my account.

I am now running my own Xi6 with a personal modem. I have a Motorola MB8611 which is on the list of compatible modems.  I knew that because your name was on the outside of the box.  When I started asking for the Xi6 I was told that my account had some kind of "flag" that would not allow an Xi6 to be ordered.  I was told the flag could not be removed. I was told one had shipped, but suddenly it had not (twice). I was told that I had to have a service call, and I refused.  Finally, I was told that I had to have an Xfinity gateway.  I got one.  It took over a week to convince someone that I was no longer using a personal modem, but I was finally able to get the "flag" removed and an Xi6 was delivered.

I used WPS to connect it to my mesh Wi-Fi (which is nowhere in the directions) but got the error that I needed customer support to activate it.  As soon as it was activated it completed the setup and started streaming live TV.  I switched over to my personal modem.  Everything works fine.  BTW - the ethernet port works as well, 

The problem I see is the Xfinity ordering system needs to NOT flag accounts simply because the user has their own modem, or Customer Support needs to be able to remove the flag.  Customer Support should have clear directions for identifying the modem in use.  The customer should NOT have to go through what I did.

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

@user_cc68ed, thanks for this feedback, very much appreciated. I will absolutely be getting this information over to our leadership. We offer our deepest apologies for any inconvenience or frustration caused by this and please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here