tdeg's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2022 12:51 AM

Closed

Xfinity Stream with Customer Owned Modem

I have my own modem that I’ve provided for internet usage and currently have the 1.2TB bandwidth allotment per month.  In addition, I have the Xfinity Stream app installed on a few smart TVs and devices here at my home.

Can you please confirm that any usage of the Xfinity Stream app in my home does NOT use any of my 1.2TB bandwidth allotment, even with a customer owned modem?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

2 years ago

... Can you please confirm that any usage of the Xfinity Stream app in my home does NOT use any of my 1.2TB bandwidth allotment, even with a customer owned modem?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-app-faqs says:

Does streaming using the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device count against my Internet data usage?
No. The goal of using the app on your Partner Device is to give you more options outside of our rented TV Boxes to access your full TV service within your home. The service delivered through the Xfinity Stream app is not an Internet service, so our data usage plans don't apply.

Sadly, and it's been like this for YEARS, the next paragraph goes on to say:

However, video services that are delivered over the Internet, like TV Everywhere content accessed through the Xfinity Stream app and web portal or content from NBC.com or the NBC and NBC Sports apps, are treated exactly the same way as any other Internet-delivered services, like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, and are subject to any data usage plans that might apply.

They expect you to know, somehow, whether a particular program source is "Internet-delivered" or not. My personal experience is that the Stream app for mobile devices can access content like TV Everywhere/TV Go channels which would count against your data plan, but the (formerly Beta) Stream app for partner devices cannot.

That page hints, but does not say clearly, that the same rules apply whether you are using customer owned equipment or rental equipment.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the info @BruceW !  Just to confirm, as long as I’m watching channels on Xfinity Stream that are available on my Xfinity X1 box (ie 600 and 700 channel numbers) and not TV everywhere channels (ie 1,000+ channel numbers) then even if I’m using my own internet cable modem it should not use bandwidth?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

2 years ago

... then even if I’m using my own internet cable modem it should not use bandwidth?

Apologies for being picky, but you will be using data (bandwidth). But Comcast won't count that data against your 1.2 TB data plan limit. Also, besides numbered channels, On Demand should not count against the limit, as long as the content is the magical kind that is not "Internet-delivered".

It's more that a little bit confusing. Comcast seems to like it that way.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Awesome, I appreciate the detail @BruceW !!  Thanks for your help!!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here