U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, August 12th, 2022 1:57 PM

Closed

Xfinity Stream App Doesn't Support 2017 Samsung TV's

Why doesn't the Xfinity stream app support Samung and LG TV's from 2017?  Other similarly gigantic companies offering similar services, don't seem to have this limitation.  For example, I can use Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax, Yahoo, and Youtube - no issues.  I've already read the generic "newer browsers" blurb, but the Xfinity App is so outdated, I can't imagine why it would need to use "newer" anything.

Problem Solver

• 

323 Messages

2 years ago

I understand this is frustrating, and I know I wouldn't want to have to upgrade my TV after just 5 years either if it is working well otherwise. You can go to our support page for your convenience to view more details on why this change was made,  please view this link https://comca.st/3pgvWlO;

I hope this information on this page is helpful, we want to make sure you know why we make the changes and know that it is always with our customer's best intentions in mind. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

XfinityJessW@XfinityJessW That link doesn't work, it gives me a 404 error.  The resulting full URL is https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/stream-app-not-supported ?linkId=177168300 if that helps.  Could you provide a better/full link?

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

My apologies you're having an issue with the link. You may try this one Beta App requirements.

You can also Visit our home page at https://comca.st/3bVOMvv, Click on the support tab, then Select TV&Streaming, Click on Apps, then Select Xfinity Stream App on 3rd partner devices. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

When a TV (with HDMI inputs) becomes too out of date for the newer generation apps, you can install a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick and run the xfinity stream app on that device.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Is a 2017 TV "too out of date?"  One of my major points is why is this only an issue with Comcast/Xfinity?  Not Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax, etc.  And the Comcast/Xfinity app isn't anywhere near modern, it barely functions.

Sure, I could buy Fire sticks for my three 2017 Samsungs, but should I be forced to do that?

Contributor

• 

473 Messages

@user_39615c I certainly understand your frustrations there. The app is still in the Beta phase as we are still working through the bells and whistles.  I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. If your tv is not compatible, then you would need a Roku, or Amazon fire stick to download the Xfinity Stream app.

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

the new version of the app is no longer beta (ios/android/roku/firestick)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

2 years ago

@Rustyben wrote: "the new version of the app is no longer beta ..."

Dropping "beta" from the name seems to be largely a matter of cosmetics. And it's regrettable that they've recycled the name, because there are still two very different versions of the app:

1. The Stream App for Android and IOS mobile devices, and

2. The (formerly "beta") Stream App for Partner Devices for some TV models and Roku. This version is more restricted than the mobile device version. For example, it only works with the subscriber's in-home Internet connection, and cannot tune "TV Go" channels.

I do not know which version of the app a Fire TV Stick might use as I do not have that device.

IMHO it is a mistake to give two apps this different the same name.

Note that Comcast is still calling the app "beta" in some support pages, like https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs for example:

The Xfinity Stream app for Partner Devices is currently offered in a "beta" version that doesn't include the full set of features and functionality that comes with the Xfinity Stream app or the web portal.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Well, the "beta" tag was just cover for when the inevitable "this app is trash" topic arose.  But still, the original question of why all the other big players (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc.) don't have this limitation?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

each streamer has its own requirements. A Vizio TV I still use (with a roku) has an installed netflix app that will not run (TV technology is too old or memory too low or both). It is what it is.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

This is beyond frustrating when you spend so much on cable period and now have to get Roku for a TV that is only 5 years old ? In this day and age with all this technology that sounds totally ridiculous!! And you don’t even have options to switch to any other company so you have to deal with it … Disappointing !!! Ridiculous!!! 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here