cohenbl's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, June 21st, 2022 7:37 PM

Closed

Xfinity Stream App Data Usage

I have done 2 Chats around data usage for the Stream App. I was told (2 chats, 4 people) that using the Stream App will use up the data that I get (1.2 TB plan).  However your website FAQ says this: 

Will live TV and/or Xfinity On Demand streaming on the Xfinity Stream app or Xfinity Stream portal count against my Xfinity Internet data usage plan?
When you're in your home and connected to your in-home Xfinity network, streaming video to the Xfinity Stream app and portal is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, so it will not count towards your Xfinity Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TVE content through Xfinity Stream, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and will count towards any data usage thresholds that may apply.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/live-tv-streaming#:~:text=When%20you're%20in%20your,Xfinity%20Internet%20monthly%20data%20usage.

Please confirm what is correct as your support team is contradicting your website and I don't want to get a bunch of surprise charges for streaming over a Roku.

I would like this in writing to make sure that I am not getting charged when I shouldn't be.

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @cohenbl, thanks for taking the time to reach out to us to clarify this!

I searched through our internal documents and was unable to find anything that states using your Stream app/portal while connected to your home network would use your data plan. Using other apps would use your data, and this link has a good list that should be useful.

Another useful tip, is that apps and features that have an "Internet" badge indicate that they will use data.

There are so many streaming options and services these days, and I'm sorry that there has been confusion! I hope these links and information are helpful in clearing things up! 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

@XfinityGina wrote: "... I searched through our internal documents and was unable to find anything that states using your Stream app/portal while connected to your home network would use your data plan ..."

All you had to do was follow the link the OP posted. As in stated in several Comcast support pages:

... If you watch any TVE ["TV Everywhere", sometimes referred to as "TV Anywhere" or "TV Go"] content through Xfinity Stream, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and will count towards any data usage thresholds that may apply. ...

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

"If you watch any TVE content through Xfinity Stream, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and will count towards any data usage thresholds that may apply."

To me 'or mobile connection' implies I should be able to connect to Xfinity Stream on my Android 12 phone without WIFI.  I cannot.  Xfinity tech support told me it must use WIFI and not mobile data.

Can anyone else connect without WiFi?

Problem Solver

• 

519 Messages

Hey, @user_70779e I appreciate you making us aware of the troubles experienced accessing content through our Xfinity Stream App. When you try to stream are you given content only viewable connected to your home network error?

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here