JS53's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, November 8th, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity Steam; Welcome, This device can only access Xfinity Stream on your in-home Xfinity network.

I have two houses with Xfinity:

1) House #1 -- internet, TV, phone (a million channels). This is listed as the primary account in my Xfinity account.

2) House #2 -- internet, TV (limited channels )

Both accounts are linked. The Xfinity stream app is working fine on my phone with all of my House #1 channels. 

House #2 has a Samsung Smart TV. I am getting an error message when I try to connect the Xfinity Stream app. It says: "Welcome, this device can only access Xfinity Stream on your in-home Xfinity network..." There is no error code.

I've checked the network -- it's the House #2 network -- have logged in and out/uninstalled/reinstalled the Xfinity stream app/basically everything I can think of -- been on the phone with 4-5 agents (one of whom deactivated my internet trying to help...) -- no one can seem to fix this.

Is it because House #1 is listed as my primary? I was under the impression (after talking to Xfinity when I was setting up House #2 install of services) that I would be able to stream my House #1 channels to my House #2 Samsung TV via the Xfinity Stream app. 

I'd appreciate any help in fixing this. 

ETA: OK, I spoke to Xfinity Tech Support -- which is not the regular support -- and they told me I need to get rid of the TV on House #2 for this to work. They couldn't remove it -- so I will have to call during the week when sales is open. I'm worried that this isn't going to fix it and it's just going to be more of a mess. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Each House, even though they are linked, should have its own username and password. Stream app on moble devices work anywhere with a data connection. Stream app on a tv or a Roku are meant to be cable box replacements and will only work in the house where they are.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

adding.... is the cable TV in #2 X1 service? note that the TV app will not work in #2 using #1's login. The partner TV app as well as th Roku will not work in house #2 using house #1's TV channels.

that said, you can use a smart phone/tablet/PC and a chromecast dongle (all on same internet and stream content from that device to the chromecast connected TV's.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Hhhmmm. That’s different than what Xfinity tech support said. I’m not questioning you - but you can understand why I’m confused and frustrated. It’s weird because the first time I used the Xfinity stream app on House #2, it worked perfectly for streaming the channels from House #1. The next day it was defaulting to the channels from House #2. And now I’m not able to stream anything as I’m getting this error message. I’m reticent to start removing services to fix it but that’s what Tech support said to do. I wonder if I switch my primary account if it will correct itself.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, the second house is X1 service. I know I can HDMI in from stream on my laptop but that seems messy. I don’t have a Roku. I’m using a Samsung smart TV.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@JS53 wrote:
Yes, the second house is X1 service. I know I can HDMI in from stream on my laptop but that seems messy. I don’t have a Roku. I’m using a Samsung smart TV.

if you have your two accounts on two different usernames then you can use the partner TV xfinity stream beta app (if availble for your brand and model) using the login at house #2's username and while it is connected to your home xfinity internet service at house #2 as @CCAndrew  stated above.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I think I've figured this out. I haven't been able to check my "theory" at House #2 as I'm currently at House #1. But, I believe the error is being caused by House #1 being listed as the primary in my Xfinity account. If I make House #2 primary then I can get House #2's channels to stream via the app on my phone. I'm assuming that I can then get that stream to show on the Samsung Smart TV via the TV app without the "in-network" error. I'm also assuming that if I want to see House #1 channels on the Samsung Smart TV, I need to re-make House #1 the primary so that House #1 channels stream via the app on my phone and then connect the TV using HDMI and Apple TV/AirPlay to mirror on my TV. Does this sound right?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

For what it's worth, JS53's guess was correct. You need to go into your account and set whatever house you're at as the default account. Then you can use the beta streaming app on the TV.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have this error on one of the 3 TV's in my one house!!!  1 of 2 Samsung TV's!

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have made the account at My version of house #2 the default account.  But even then the Samsung TV at house #2 usually gives the "Welcome, this device can only access Xfinity Stream on your in-home Xfinity network..." error.  I have occasionally gotten things to connect, but that connection is lost when the TV is turned off, and reconnecting takes multiple attempts, with that error popping up over and over.  Usually, if I do it enough times, it will connect, but after about 20 tries today I'm still getting the error. I've removed and reinstalled the app and rebooted the TV and the modem, but no luck.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Okay, I found the issue that fixed things at my place.  I THOUGHT that I had been reinstalling the xfinity app, when in fact I had only been removing it from my home screen. When I actually deleted it completely and then reinstalled it (with the correct account listed as the default), it worked right away.  And it stayed connected when the TV was turned off. 

So, for my Samsung TV, the key was to go to apps>settings and then select the xfinity app.  I chose the delete option (though maybe the reinstall would have worked instead) and then manually reinstalled it. After that, the authorization process worked the first time.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here