chantelegram's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, October 31st, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Streaming xFinity on SmartTV - Not on XFinity Network

I purchased a smart TV for a cabin that is on a non-xfinity network (Spectrum Charter).

I tried to get the xfinity streaming app to work. I would use the /authorize portal and connect the two successfully, but then would get a message saying that I could only access xfinity streaming on a mobile or laptop device and to exit the onscreen app on my smart TV.

Tried to ttroubleshoot with tech support and no can do. I ended up returning the TV. 

Has anyone had success wit streaming xfinity to a Smart TV that is NOT on an xfinity network?  If so, would love to learn more and if there are models/brands that this actually work with. It works just fine on my iPhone and Laptop. Dont see why a TV would be any different. 

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Stream App on the tv is considered a “partner device” and needs Xfinity internet only(No other ISP) to work. Mobile devices work on any network
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the response. 

I have heard that you can use Roku to stream to a smart TV over another ISP. True? Not True?

Best!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

adding.... if you have a local wifi router that your smart phone/tablet is connected as well as the TV, you can use a chromecast dongle to stream TVgo, much of the on-demand library, and completed recordings as well as any downloaded videos. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Roku is in the same category of partner device, they are meant to be home cable box replacement not mobile devices. The suggestion above is your best option

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Hi there, 

Thank you so much.

So I have a non-Xfinity wifi router (it's charter spectrum) at a second property that I connect my TV, Cell, and Laptop to. If I get the Chromecast Dongle, do I pug it into one of the HDMI ports on my TV and then connect it through an app? Or does it get plugged into the router?

Sorry I am not that great with this stuff and appreciate the coaching! 

Best!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@chantelegram wrote:

Hi there, 

Thank you so much.

So I have a non-Xfinity wifi router (it's charter spectrum) at a second property that I connect my TV, Cell, and Laptop to. If I get the Chromecast Dongle, do I pug it into one of the HDMI ports on my TV and then connect it through an app? Or does it get plugged into the router?

Sorry I am not that great with this stuff and appreciate the coaching! 

Best!

follow the chromecast directons to connect to your local router. once your phone/tablet is on the same wireless network the chromecast icon will 'light up' on the stream app.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here