sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

@wsalopek wrote:

I don't want...dongle based devices.

That's what all these "boxes" are...Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc...it's just that the Roku and Apple TV are bigger dongles than the Chromecast.

I understand your point. My point is that, so far as I know, you can't get 5.1 from Chromecast. Meanwhile, AppleTV (and my trusty XDS) output matrixed audio via optical to my AV receiver. I want solutions that allow me a home theater experience.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

@JonnyWatcher wrote:

This whole subject is just ridiculous at this point. Shame on Comcast. Here is the bottom line:

1) There is no reason to block it when it is allowed on the Apple and Xbox. Maybe they are paying Comcast a kickback. Who knows.

No way SHERLOCK! Roku is like the underdog in this sitution. Roku helps Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, other video apps get profits. How would Roku help Comcast make money if they won't pay Comcast? Think like this the only way Comcast would allow Roku if they pay Comcast! Simply Comcast and DirecTV are bullies.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

@JonnyWatcher wrote:

@wsalopek wrote:

I don't want...dongle based devices.

That's what all these "boxes" are...Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc...it's just that the Roku and Apple TV are bigger dongles than the Chromecast.

I understand your point. My point is that, so far as I know, you can't get 5.1 from Chromecast. Meanwhile, AppleTV (and my trusty XDS) output matrixed audio via optical to my AV receiver. I want solutions that allow me a home theater experience.

This Netflix support page says Chromecast does 5.1:

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/10380

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

I am in the same boat here.   I access HBO GO on my iPad and it is great.  You can watch ANY HBO program ever...unlike HBO On Demand.   I bought anew tv and got the Roku so that I could access HBO GO on the large screen...of course that was quickly shot down when I discovered that because I am a Comcast customer that my hands have been tied and I cant access HBO GO.  Its insane that I am paying for HBO content yet I cant view it how I want to.  And not becasue I am not paying for it but because I am paying for it through Comast! I have been a supporter of Comcast for many years but its things like this (and the X1 unit they pushed on me a few months ago) that make me ask myself "Why should I remain a Comcast customer?"  It so frustrating!!!!

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

It is absolutely ridiculous that Comcast refuses to support both the Roku and Samsung Smart TV's with HBO Go.  I have now bought two items to stream HBO GO without realizing that Comcast doesn't support either.  First, I bought a Roku box and didn't find out it wasn't a supported device until I went to activate it.  Then recently, I purchased a new Samsung Smart TV....and didn't realize it wasn't supported until I went to activate that as well.

We are all already paying for the HBO GO service thru Comcast by paying for our HBO subscription, yet for some reason, that isn't enough for Comcast and they refuse to give straight answers to their paying customers.  I saw all the scripted responses people have been given over and over and over again from Comcast employees, and none of them ever even come close to giving a straight answer as to why Comcast won't support the Roku box or Samsung TV's or when we can expect them to, if ever.

I found an upper management guy on Twitter that had addressed this before in the past, so I decided to send him a Tweet asking about it.  It took several hours to get a response, but I did finally get one, although it was passed down to another employee to answer and it was nothing more than the same BS they give to anyone that asks about HBO GO.  Here is the conversation (so far):

Lance ‏@thelancinator96 25 Jul

@Matt_CIM @comcast @HBO @samsung Long time Comcast customer and have a Samsung Smart TV and a Roku box, when on earth will we get HBOGO??

Will OsborneVerified account ‏@ComcastWill

@thelancinator96 Comcast is continuing to work with our partners to deliver even more TV choices to our customers on new devices.

As you can see, it is just more of the same run around.  Comcast needs to give its customers an answer once and for all on this because it's obvious that we all want to be able to get what we are already paying for, and I REFUSE to spend more money on yet another device just to get HBO GO.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

But never the less, you can still do well sharing your ID and password because i know people who are currently doing this and not once has anyone been kicked off for too many viewers.  I guess it's rare that all 4 users will be logged in at the same time.  But i think it's not a big issue for Netflix becaues even though sharing happens Netflix has a large consumer base that makes it worth while.  I believe Netflix probably has 3 times as many customers as Comcast because Comcast is not everywhere.  Netflix is available to anyone with a laptop.  However, i feel Comcast is afraid to lose potential customers if they allow Roku on Xfinity and friends and family started sharing accounts in different households. In otherwords, Comcast is GREEDY as he!!  Furthermore, they're smart with the 6 month deals they claim are deals.  I currently have a 6 month promotion deal for the preimum channels because i like all of the Magic City, Trueblood, Boardwalk, Camelot...etc, but yet i'm still paying over $200 a month and i don't even have a land-line.  I have the double play.  Can you say OLIGOPOLY!! 

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@delid2 wrote:

But never the less, you can still do well sharing your ID and password because i know people who are currently doing this and not once has anyone been kicked off for too many viewers. 

Actually, it's not that someone gets kicked off, instead when the third concurrent user tries to watch something an alert displays that the account is at maximum connections. Happens frequently in our family.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

It's funny how Comcast support HBO GO on Apple Tv and Not Roku. And now that Fox Now is on Roku it seem Comcast will not support that either. Is it just me or does Comcast have it out for Roku? I'm seriously considering AT&T Uverse.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

@stew1 wrote:

It's funny how Comcast support HBO GO on Apple Tv and Not Roku. And now that Fox Now is on Roku it seem Comcast will not support that either. Is it just me or does Comcast have it out for Roku? I'm seriously considering AT&T Uverse.

And that's what makes it even more frustrating!  As soon as HBO GO was available for AppleTV, Comcast jumped right on board, all the while Samsung Smart TV's and Roku had the HBO GO apps for a long time now and Comcast refuses to support them even though there are a lot more people with Smart TV's and Roku boxes than there are with AppleTV boxes.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

its all about money with this company and not custumer service  you can get on fios,cox

Gold Problem Solver

• 

22.6K Messages

11 years ago

post by ianr removed.

After being told not to use one word there was an equally offensive word substituted. It also contained an acroynm in which one letter stands for a no no word.

In addition, hoping that someone's child gets cancer is small-minded, mean-spirited, petty, spiteful, hateful and uncalled for. To wish that on an innocent child (or anyone) shows the true character of the poster.  If you want to find out how devastating this can be to a family, I suggest you go to a children's hospital and visit with the children/families who are dealing with childhood cancer. I am sure you would be quickly run out of town on a rail if you made any disparaging remarks. Someone might even get a video of you doing it and put it on youtube, so the whole world can see it.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

10.  Insult (flame) other Community members

We ask all members to discuss issues and disagree with other posters without resorting to or responding with insults, whether they are blatantly offensive or subtle and indirect.  Responding to an insult with an insult makes a poster as guilty of flaming as the original poster. Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting. These types of posts are not allowed and can result in the immediate revocation of one’s forum posting privileges.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

People just use Q-Berts language LOL @#%! hehe leave it up to the imagination of the reader then its their own fault if their offended.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

I really wish Xfinity paid as much attention to the content of over 1400 requests as opposed to language of those posts.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

22.6K Messages

11 years ago

I don't make the rules. I do enforce them. I notice that y'all are fixated on the language aspect. Neither of you commented on the other part of the reason for removal. Telling people you hope their children get cancer is lower than low.

By the way, there is a thing called RESPECT which many people have a lack of.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry Evie, since we could not see the original post (no issue with the removal nor you doing your part keeping the forum to keep such things policed) we do not know what went on. Our beef is with the fact that comcast refusses to allow authorization for ROKU devices while they allow every other thing access (except you frustrated Samsung people, oh ya that's me too). 

What makes it frustrating, other then the total lack of conceren by comcasts part is that for some of us paying for comcast services is not an option. I pay for extended basic service with HBO through my assosiation dues which I do not have the option of not paying the cable portion, so since I use DirecTV for my TV service the only benifit is getting HBO GO on my ROKU but you will not allow me to do that. 

We wish you could easily get someone higher up in comcast to atleast under stand and comment on this issue as easily as you can use the tools comcast has given you to police the forums.

People he only want to get what they pay for and would get if they were with any other cable tv provider or dish network.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here