sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

So are  you gone or was the threat hollow?

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

Do you have any evidence that Comcast is asking for money from Roku?  

According to another poster, it is just a sign-off.

I tend to believe that.  It looks like a stupid policy decision by someone somewhere in the Comcast organization.

HBO is okay with Roku, based on the long list of other Cable companies that support HBOgo on Roku.

Someone in Comcast is okay with Roku based on the FACT that ESPN is availalbe on Roku to Comcast subscribers,

based soley on a paid up Comcast Cable subscription that includes ESPN.  (My family and I watched the world cup on Roku - because they wanted to hear the commentary in Portuguese... As a bonus there were less and less obnoxious commercials on the ESPN/Roku/Portuguese streaming feed.)

My guess is that some nutty guy at Comcast sees Roku as competition, and maybe it is, but it is nuts because they DO let you watch Streamflix and HBOgo on just about any Android device>, and I can plug that into my TV and so use any Android device with a video out as a "competitive" cable box.  As an added bonus HBOgo supports the Chromecast stick, so that works for me even with my Android devices that do not have a video out connector.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

I have no proof, just a suspicion, but it's more than just filling out the paper work. Comcast is well aware of the issue and chose not to authenticate. I suspect they see Roku competing with HD settop box rentals.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Sign the petition to demand Comcast add HBOGO support to ROKU devices. We pay for the service, we should have the right to watch it on the media platform of our choice.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/398/061/500/demand-comcast-support-hbogo-for-roku/

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Pay attention Comcast : I want HBO go on my ROKU !!!!!

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I am just a customer not an authority. I can feel your frustration though I have been there. While Comcast does not seem to want to admit it. I certainly seems like they have very little support for Roku. I too have a Roku 3 box in fact more ten one in my home. I stream most of my media over a local area network in my home. I have my televisions connected to my network with Roku 3 boxes or Xbox 360s or a PS3. I run a computer all the time on the network that has windows 7/ Windows Media center/ Open Server WMC/ PlayOn/Play Later installed on it. Granted this is a pretty elaborate setup I have to do what I do but it has become somewhat of an addiction for me to build on it. However I have found that when I go to my Roku 3 I can start the PlayOn app and then go to HBOgo which is installed within thePlayOn app and I can then watch the HBOgo on my tv as the PlayOn server authenticates on my computer and just streams it to the Roku.

I hope this was not to complicated of a reply but it is what I have found to work to get HBOgo on my living  room tv to be able to watch shows that are not playing live on HBO.

Frequent Visitor

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I have mentioned this option before on this Forum as it works quite well for me also relative to watching HBOGO on my Roku3 devices.  But it does require use of the PlayOn app and I have found I need to reauthenticate myself (i.e. login again) on my PC every day or so. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I also suggest checking out playon, which enables you to play quite a few channels, doesn't cost a whole lot, and the kicker is being able to download "scripts" for private channels people have put together.  ONECHANNEL is particularly popular, as it contains "more recent" films.  Ya just download the script you want at playonscripts.com (after installing the PlayOn channel on Roku-a PlayOn Settings panel is also installed on your PC), run the script from the PlayOn/Scripts directory, and the channel should miraculously appear within PlayOn on your Roku.  If you installed ONECHANNEL, you'll find a good selection of recent flicks, as well as older classics.  This is the kind of content that could persuade me to cut the cord.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Why can't I use hbo to go or other channels on my roku device, hmm because comcast does not offer that ability!!! Direct tv does so does verizon. Do I need to cancel. Customer service couldn't even help, I tried explaining that I just wanted to let comcast management know that they needed to add roku to their list of streaming devices. Instead the guy sends me to HBO to go web page and tries to sell me a home security system. Comcast add roku or I will be canceling my service I refuse to deal with companies that do not put customers first. There are plenty of other providers who will take my money and provide me with the services I want.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

ROKU and Comcast can't agree on a price. Simple as that.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

ROKU and Comcast can't agree on a price. Simple as that.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Comcast give us this option! We pay for the service!

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

HBO is going to be selling subscriptions without cable in 2015, which could be less then 3 months from now.  Great news for everyone posting here bad news for Comcast.

http://recode.net/2014/10/15/hbo-says-its-going-to-start-selling-on-the-web-next-year/

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.5K Messages

10 years ago

Seems unlikely Time Warner would want to make any kind of long term plans with HBO or anybody else for that matter when it's quite likely they will be owned by Comcast very shortly.

Contributor

• 

65 Messages

10 years ago

Time Warner and Time Warner Cable are separate companies.
Comcast is trying to buy TWCable.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here