sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

Yep and they actually removed my FB post and your link from this forum.  How can you much more sleazier can they get?

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

Ya, TravelerTC... there were some Facebook links that I posted to that are no longer here.  Obviously that is how you get attention!  Complaining on this forum doesn't work. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

From the XFINITY FB wall:

"At this time we do not have an ETA. We are working with partners to make TV programming available to customers in more ways: Xbox, tablets, and websites like XfinityTV & HBOGo. If and when it becomes available you will be notified"

You'll note that she didn't mention Roku at all.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

Interesting how the Forum moderator keeps removing Facebook links off here??  They just did it again and I'm sure they don't want the word spreading about how they are not providing HBO GO to connected to TV devices.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

My guess is that XBOX360 will get an OK from Comcast since they just signed a deal with Microsoft to put content on the XBOX.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Every provider has the "option" to enable streaming on different browsers, this is how my GoogleTV works because it's really Android and Comcast allows Android phone/tablets to access it.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

Is Comcast really at fault?  

Maybe HBO didn't choose Comcast for streaming since I see U-verse is listed..

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

12 years ago

I agree, I believe that Comcast will allow HBO Go on the XBOX, it will be there way of saying that customers do have options other than their equipment (even if it isn't the option every customer wants).

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Comcast/Xfinity will allow HBOGo on the xbox, but then you have to pay an additional monthly fee to to xbox/microsoft to use the service.  I'm sure comcast is making money from the deal with xbox.

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

Apparently Comcast won't allow we users to access HBOGo via Roku streaming players. 

On my PC, yes.  On my smartphone or tablet, yes. 

But not on a streaming player connecting to my TV.

Why?  To force me to use Comcast On Demand (with far fewer HBO programs and episodes available)?

Or do they just like pushing arbitrary and pointless restrictions on customers because they think they can?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

As an FYI to this thread.  I talked with all sorts of Comcast tech support people.  The official word is that they don't "support" HBOGo on Samsung Smart TVs or Roku.  There was no explanation given when I asked why or what is special about those platforms that they should require a special effort on the part of Comcast to support.  I have still not received a promised email containing documentation or a link that explains this policy.

This is so obviously an effort on the part of Comcast to cling to relevancy as a content provider, when more and more people are talking about "cutting the cord".  If you're watching HBO on your TV, Comcast will insist that you do it through them, period.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

12 years ago

I talked to a customer service rep yesterdayI asked why Comcast wouldn't allow Roku users to use HBO GO, and he said it was a "business decision".  I told him that I was extremely upset (as were many Roku owners/Comcast subscribers), and asked him to pass the message on up the food chainFor what it is worth, he said that he had received a number of similar comments.

An article in The Wall Street Journal earlier this week quoted Comcast as saying that they did not want "thier" content controlled by a third party since they somehow think that may affect their ability to interact directly with customersThe Journal article specifically mentioned HBO GO on the RokuI suspect they are worried that HBO might suddenly offer streaming as an alternative to subscribing through ComcastTo the extent they are worried about HBO contacting me directly, HBO already has my user name and whatever information I gave them in order to get updates of their programming.

I know that HBO has been pressing them to make HBO GO available on the Roku. My guess is that many people (like me) are reevaulating the worth of an HBO subscription without access to HBO GO on my TVAs my cable bill keeps going up (thank you, ESPN), I am wondering whether it is worth paying $15 to $20/mo. to HBO for the privilege of seeing maybe one or two movies a month (which I can probably find in my local library or at Redbox) and a series like "Game of Thrones".  I can see paying that amount if I had access to all of the HBO content on my television but not for a great deal less content such as what is "On Demand".  I don't know why anyone thinks we are going to watch endless hours of HBO (or any other) content on a 3 to 4-inch telephone screenI have a 17" computer screen, and I don't even like watching movies or TV on the computer

Is Comcast really worried that we are all going to "cut the cord" or limit ourselves to basic cable and HBO and therefore their profits are going to plummetTheir prices may plummet as a lot of us get tired of paying $200/mo for internet access and cable, not because of HBO GO.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

The amazing thing is that Allowing us access via Roku and SmartTV prevents us from CUTTING THE CORD.

I would be even happier and less likely to CUT THE CORD if they would work with ROKU on getting an Xfinity Channel going. 

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

12 years ago

If you have a good product that offers fair value to your customers you do not fear them using/seeing 3rd party applications. 

If you feel you do not then you do everything you can to keep your customers from seeing/using those products.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I just wanted to add one more voice to the crowd of shouts:

HEY COMCAST---MAKE THE ROKU CONNECTION WITH HBO !!!

We're already paying too much for too little.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here