user_af8658's profile

Visitor

• 

30 Messages

Friday, December 8th, 2023 5:20 PM

Closed

I installed a new cable modem and now Xfinity Stream blocks CBS and other channels

Not sure why I didn't find this easily. I've spent several days tinkering. All you really have to do is tell Xfinity about your new modem. 

https://lynndemarest.com/2023/12/activating-a-cable-modem-router-with-the-xfinity-app/

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

11 months ago

@user_af8658, were you able to get CBS working again? If not we would like to take a look at it further for you.

Visitor

• 

30 Messages

Yes. Read the link. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_af8658    Awesome, I am gal you got every taken care 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

30 Messages

To save a couple coins, I decided to buy my own cable modem/router instead of paying rent to Comcast every month.

The modem worked well — it was one of those approved by Comcast (an Arris G36) — but I soon discovered that I could not get some channels on my streaming devices — IPhone, Kindle Fire, IPad, PCs.

All the TVs worked fine, and internet browsing worked for the most part, but when I tried to view CBS, PBS and a variety of other channels on the Xfinity Stream app, the WATCH button was disabled and, above it, there was a message telling me I needed to connect to my in-home wifi because of contract restrictions blah blah blah.

Of course I was connected to my home router. Problem was, Xfinity didn’t know that because I’d neglected to tell Xfinity that my new router was my “in-home” router. Because of the oversight, Xfinity assumed my new router was a random wifi hotspot, as if I were down at the Starbucks. And CBS and others for some reason decided it didn’t want to grant access unless I was at home.

The problem was fixed by simply telling Xfinity about my new modem. This was accomplished by downloading the Xfinity App to my IPhone and activating the new modem, as described here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-app-activation

The one tricky bit is that the instructions above mention a CM MAC “number” that is supposed to be found on the modem’s info sticker. Problem is, my modem didn’t have such a number. After trial and error, I found that the HFC MAC code — which includes letters and numbers — worked.

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

@user_af8658, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this very useful information. We're so delighted to hear you got it all worked out. Please be sure to create a New Public post for any future issues or concerns, my team is here to support you. 

Thanks for being the best part of Xfinity! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here