U

31 Messages

Saturday, November 4th, 2023 5:05 PM

Closed

Fed up with how Recordings are handled

I am really up to here with how Stream [Edited: "Language"] on old recordings. I thought I finally was getting used to having 1 year limit - something which I may add old Comcast DVRs did not limit you to. But now I'm seeing I lost important recordings well ahead of the 1 year mark, I'm guessing because *the Stream website and app doesn't tell you how much space you have left*. It just deletes recordings without warning. Honestly, I don't know how much more of this I can take. I'm thinking of switching away to YoutubeTV just for the unlimited recording.

Problem Solver

• 

515 Messages

1 year ago

@user_4c21d8 You can check how much storage you have left in the Stream app. It should should show up in the top right hand corner when viewing your recordings list. According to this document, you get approx. 150 hours of cloud DVR storage HD programming. Same on the X1 DVR with hard drive. But you can upgrade your storage amount.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-overview

31 Messages

@DreamSayerZ​ I don't have anything like that show up. Using both the android app and the website. Only place the storage remaining shows up is right on the DVR, which doesn't help when I'm away from home for extended periods of time.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

515 Messages

@user_4c21d8​ When you go into Saved, then Scheduled, it should be at the top of that view.

https://comca.st/3a55QxE

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.7K Messages

@user_4c21d8 It looks like @DreamSayerZ provided some additional steps for you to find how much storage space you have left, were you able to locate that information in the Xfinity Stream Portal?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

31 Messages

@XfinityBillie@DreamSayerZ I do not have, and never have had, that green bar show up. In fact, there are quite a few subtle differences between what that link has pictured and what shows up for me:

It is empty now, but I have seen it when stuff scheduled and it does not look significantly different from this.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.7K Messages

@user_4c21d8 Just to clarify, are you using the app or going into the Xfinity Stream web portal? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 months ago

We absolutely understand the frustrations with older recordings being deleted. This does( or at least should) happen based on the DTG for the recording, that is the oldest recordings are purged first.  There is a potential that we may be able to retrieve some recordings, but not a gurantee. 

31 Messages

Happy to try anything, though since I'm not home at the moment there's nothing I can do on the DVR itself.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Perfect! @user_4c21d8! To get started, please feel free to send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

Contributor

• 

87 Messages

11 months ago

I lose recordings on stream that are still on the DVR, they say it's because of storage, but there's only like 2-3 videos in storage when they do that. 

2 Messages

9 months ago

I have been having a problem with recordings disappearing what I was told today 2-1-24 by a Xfinity employe that only the X1 DVR recordings are viewable until they are deleted by you or to make room for new recording.

I've been told streaming on a tablet or phone, or computer does not use the X1 DVR server there for only the recordings made in the last 12 months are viewable. I don't know if this is true, but I do know that after 365 days the recording disappear, when not using the cable box.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi there, @user_0yl9om Thank you so much for your time and patience. All cloud DVR recordings will delete after one year. Future recordings will not record unless you manually delete some older recordings. When you stream on a tablet, phone or computer you will be using the X1 Cloud DVR.-Richard

2 Messages

@XfinityRichard​ 

The old DVR recorders had an internal hard drive that's where the recordings where stored.

The current X1 DVR cable box uses a server somewhere on this plant to replay your recordings from. 

The term cloud has to be the stupidest name I've heard.

Anyway, the cable box can replay all 120 of my recordings but using the computer I can only see the recordings that are less than one year old.

I can't understand why the same server can't be used for both.

I can use the computer to schedule recordings and they don't disappear after one year.

Also, that's not how Comcast sells the service we are led to believe that all recordings are available on any device at any time.

I pay Comcast $3120.00 dollars a year for their services for that I should not be limited in anyway.

I will be checking to see if other providers have the same stupid and unfair policies as Comcast.

1 Message

7 months ago

Agreed. I'm thinking if switch too. I today had "The Eternals" saved and was 1/3 through, to find it deleted 3 days later. ("Surprise deletions", the new feature from Comcast). When I went to go back to HBO, where it was available they no longer have it and is is now $3.99 to watch or you can easily PAY FOR DISNEY and watch it again for free. See that's what it is. If the show you record was free, but then becomes a paid title, xfinity pulls it ti where you then have to pay for it. NOT COOL.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here