U

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, August 4th, 2023 12:55 PM

Closed

Chromecast streaming stopped working

I've been successfully casting to Chromecast devices attached to a TV for a few years.  About two weeks ago, casting to a Chromecast device only shows the preview thumbnail of the show, and neverending 3 animated dots.  All selections play fine on a PC and in the Android Stream app, but when sent to the CCast, it never starts.  I've tried 4 different Chromecast devices, including a new one just purchased.  All with up-to-date firmware.  Anyone else seeing this problem recently?

1 Message

1 year ago

Same here. I have 2 Chromecast devices, one working fine, the other stopped working approximately 2-3 weeks ago. When I attempt to stream, an initial splash page for the desired program appears with three continuous dots, and that’s it. The actual live program ever appears. I have been on a thread about this on the Chromecast community chat and it appears this problem is only happening with xfinity users.   Version 7.9.1 was installed about three weeks ago. I’d start there, or even at 7.9 which was installed 1 month ago.

1 Message

1 year ago

I have the same issue.  Curious to know if Xfinity can help

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_2e7fdc are you able to provide the exact make and model of the Chromecast device that's giving you the issue? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

1 year ago

Same issue. One chromecast works the other doesn't. 

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hi, @user_f63d4b! Thanks for reaching out over our forums page to let us know that one of the Chromecast devices isn't working and for patiently waiting for a response. I am sorry to learn about this experience. We can help. Can you tell us if you are getting an error code or an error message?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

2 Messages

No error code. Does everything it used to except the actual casting. 

Official Employee

• 

331 Messages

So sorry to hear that. Could you please private message us your full name and address for us to troubleshoot with you?

Official Employee

• 

910 Messages

1 year ago

@user_d447a0 Thanks for creating a post on our Community Forums. Does this happen with any content, or specific to certain programs or episodes? Just to check for clarity as well, are both the Chromecast and your device connected to the same WiFi network and band (2.4 or 5.0)?

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@XfinityThomasD​ Thank you for your reply!

It seems to happen with all content that I've tried so far.  Several live channels, and a couple of on demand items.  Both the Chromecast and device are attached to the same network.  I tried both using the app on an android device and streaming from a Chrome browser on Windows, with the same result.  The Wifi that I have been connected to that started having the issue was a 5ghz.  I reset the Chromecast device, and connected it to the 2.4 (along with my phone), and had the same issue.

All seems to work ok, up until actual playback.  If I connect to the CCast from the Stream app, I get the "Ready to cast" message on the TV, when I actually start a program, I get the show's thumbnail with the animated loading dots.  The actual connection to the Ccast device seems ok, up until playback.  I've tried a couple different phones and computers.  No luck so far.

Official Employee

• 

910 Messages

I appreciate the details and steps you've taken already. Let's see if we can remotely troubleshoot this with you and find out what's going on. Would you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a Direct Message:

Ensure you are logged in

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
    • As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
    • An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it.

1 Message

1 year ago

Is there a resolution for this issue?

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@user_53d63b​ Sorry for not following up on this, yet.  I did get into a direct support session with a tech on this last week.  Spent a bit of time doing the expected reset of the Chromecast, uninstall/reinstall of the stream app, clearing browser cache, etc.  Tech remotely reset my router, and made sure that all looked good from their end.  Still no luck, unfortunately.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

I wanted to follow up with the post content below that a user posted on a Google Chromecast forum that was started for the same issue with Xfinity Stream
https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Chromecast/Chromecast-shows-it-s-casting-but-I-only-get-the-program-title-on-screen/m-p/467083/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufExMNFJTMVJROEhMMllIfDQ2NzA4M3xTVUJTQ1JJUFRJT05TfGhL#M46660

"I went through two levels of support on the phone with xfinity after hours spent, they were unable to help so they dispatched a technician.  According to the rep who helped me she believed it was a issue with my signal. When the tech came out to my home he couldn't figure it out either. I showed the tech I can cast any streaming app and they work perfectly fine but Xfinity Stream will just sit and buffer. I also showed him that I can watch the Xfinity app just fine on my phone, as soon as I try to cast to the Chromecast it just sit and buffers. I let him know I had been trouble shooting this myself as well and found several people having the same issues over the last 3 weeks now. Prior to that the app had been working perfectly with the Chromecast without issue. He was on the phone with his supervisor, sent yet another reset signal to my modem which did nothing and told me he was sending my issue to IT. He told me I'd have to wait 2 weeks and if the problem persists Xfinity would be issuing me their streaming device to use at no cost to me since it appears to be a problem between Xfinity and Google and not with any  other streaming apps. Now I wait 2 weeks and circle back."

(edited)

8 Messages

1 year ago

I have the same issue.  I am unable to cast Xfinity (LiveTV or recorded) to my 2nd or 3rd gen Chromecast (cast fw: 1.56.275994 and 1.56.291998).  It seems like this began with my most recent Xfinity Stream app update to version 7.10.0, but am not entirely sure.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

1 year ago

I thought I would chime in to give hope and insight. I have not had the issue above, but, I do use a Chromecast with the Xfinity Stream App.

Below, I will detail my working setup and the relevant specifications for my devices used. Currently I can Cast Live TV, Recorded TV Shows and OnDemand content, while using the Xfinity Stream App on an Android Phone to cast the video content to my Chromecast for viewing on my TV.

Working Setup

Casting from my Android Phone (SM-N975U1) to a Chromecast with Google TV connected to My Television via HDMI. The USB-C port of my Chromecast has a 1-to-3 splitter to enable power input and wired Ethernet using a USB 3.1 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter to connect to a Gigabit Ethernet switch which is connected to my rented XB8 Cable Modem/WiFi Router from Xfinity.

Chromecast

Manufacturer: Google

Model: Chromecast with Google TV (Gen4, Comes with remote control)

Android TV OS Version: 12

Android TV OS Security Patch Level: April 1, 2023

Kernel Version: 4.9.269

Android TV OS Build: STTE.230319.008.H1.10319030

Xfinity Stream App

Android app downloaded from Google Play Store

App Version: 7.4.16

!Note: The Current version of the Xfinity Stream App available from Google Play is listed as 7.6.05 since June 26, 2023. I will forgo updating for now, until I know this version is safe.

Casting Device: Android Phone

Manufacturer: Samsung

Model: SM-N975U1 Note 10+ Unlocked

Android Version: 12

One UI Version: 4.1

Kernel Version: 4.14.190-25890545

Google Play System Update: November 1, 2022

Android Security Patch Level: August 1, 2023

Final Notes

I don't think the Specifications of my TV or Networking Equiptment used are relevant.  I also did not share my exact cabling used to connect everything. I suggest verifying that each cable is connected properly and visually inspected for damage and/or severe angle bends/bundling, Always use cables that are reccomended by the manufacturers of all items and avoid excessive bending and/or bundling when possible. If you want any of this data withheld, feel free to ask and I will share it as well. Very soon I will install the newest version of Xfinity Stream App on a different Android Device to see if this causes me any issues, then report back here with the results.

Best Streaming luck to everyone and Happy Labor Day!

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

1 year ago

@user_d447a0

Will you read my post above, posted Today, September 3, then reply using @dependantCustomer with what version of Xfinity Stream App you are using on your Casting Device? Also, which Chromecast Model and what Software versions you have? 

Cheers!

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@DependentCustomer​ Thanks for your input - that's great info!  I will review the versions of my hardware and apps, and respond as soon as I can.  I don't think it's the Stream app itself, since I CAN stream to a device on a certain TV, and not to another.  Also - on the one that will not stream, I also cannot send from a laptop and the Xfinity listings web page.  Same result - just the three dot buffer graphic.

To add another wrinkle to this - I took the device that is working on one set (a current version Chromecast w/Google TV), moved and connected to the other set, and it no longer worked!  Moving it back to the other set allowed it to once again cast.

My theory is that it may be a wi-fi signal strength issue, even though the Chromecast is visible and says "Ready to cast" when selecting it as a destination on the Stream app.  Also - all other streaming platforms work fine in all locations, without buffering or signal issues.  The non working area for Xfinity is upstairs, farther from the router.  I plan on hooking a Chromecast device to a computer monitor w/hdmi input, and then trying it in both locations.  This will remove the different TVs from the equation, and leave only the location/signal strength as the variable.

Will report back as soon as I can.

Thanks!

8 Messages

1 year ago

@DependentCustomer I'm casting from an iPhone using Xfinity Stream version 7.10.0 to a Chromecast 2nd gen (fw: 1.56.275994).  I also have the issue casting from the same device/sw to a Chromecast 3rd gen (fw: 1.56.291998).  The Chromecast devices plug into the TV via HDMI.  

I believe this is an issue with the Xfinity Stream app since I am able to cast from Netflix and Amazon Prime Video without issue.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_11059a We are sorry to hear that you're having issues with the Xfinity Stream App, and we very much appreciate @DependentCustomer providing the insight they can to help navigate others with this problem. Can you please send us a Direct Message with your full name and address? We'll be happy to investigate this further for you. Here are instructions on how to send us a DM in case you need them:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

We look forward to hearing from you.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Update to what I know about this problem:

I originally thought that it may be a signal strength issue with the Chromecast  device, since a cast device that worked on my main TV (closer to the router) did NOT work when disconnected and moved to my bedroom TV (farther from the router).  I no longer think that this is the case, and that it may actually be tied to the device that the Chromecast is plugged into via hdmi.  Here is what I tried.

I took one of my recent Chromecast devices (cast firmware 1.68.374876) that is connected to my main TV.  Connected the Xfinity Stream app to it, then cast live TV to it.  It worked fine.  I then stopped casting, disconnected from the main TV hdmi, and plugged it into a PC monitor that I own via hdmi.  The TV and monitor were virtually right next to each other.  Once plugged into the monitor, I again connected to the cast device from Xfinity Stream, and tried to cast the same channel.  Nothing but a preview with three dots.  Did not work.

To test further, I returned the cast device to my main TV, and cast an Xfinity channel to it (it worked again on that set), then unplugged the hdmi from the main set and into the monitor without resetting the chromecast, and the channel continued to stream fine on the monitor.  Weird, right?  I then stopped the cast while connected to the monitor and attempted to restart.  It did not start - just stopped at the preview and loading dots again.

This was with the same Chromecast, same casting device (android) with the same Stream app, on the same wifi.  Did not even shut the Chromecast device down - just moved it from one TV to another.  This matches with my earlier experience where I moved a device that worked on my main set upstairs, where it did not work on the other TV.

Not sure where that leaves us, but it is not a wifi connection strength issue, is not a Stream app version issue, and definitely not a Chromecast hardware or firmware issue.

8 Messages

@user_d447a0​ are you able to cast from other apps to your monitor?

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@user_11059a​ Yes - Hulu, Netflix, and casting YouTube all work fine.

8 Messages

1 year ago

I worked with Xfinity and Google today.  The Xfinity rep opened a level 2 ticket open to investigate.  Here is the response I received from Google: [Chromecast] Gen 2 can still support other Stream apps. but not all anymore, other apps also updates specially Comcast Xfinity stream app, this app works with our Ultra, 4k and HD version. you can contact xfinity for support for more updates and info.

They seem to indicate that the gen2 Chromecast device is no longer compatible with Xfinity Stream, but the Google tech was unable to point me to anything that articulates that (and the Xfinity rep was unaware that the two are incompatible).  Not sure where that leaves us.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@user_11059a​ Good info.  Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same symptoms even with the Chromecast w/Google TV HD and 4k.  It seems to be tied to the device it's attached to.  Weird, I know, but I've tried almost everything with no luck.

8 Messages

@user_d447a0​ That is interesting!  Based on your feedback, I moved my Chromecast device to a newer TV and was able to cast Xfinity Stream just fine.  So, it's definitely related to the device it is plugged into!

8 Messages

1 year ago

Working with Xfinity, they advised that this problem is now resolved.  Casting is now working for me where it wasn't previously.  Test your systems now!

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@user_11059a​ Wow, it works!  I just tried on the TV that I've been having problems with for months, and it's good!  Thanks for the heads up.  I wonder what was the problem?

8 Messages

I asked for root cause, but all I got was this: "It appears to be an issue our app team needed to fix"

2 Messages

I have a new Chromecast HD that has the 3 dot issue when trying to stream (Xfinity Stream only).  Any chance they can run this fix again?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here