mgriff's profile

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2022 8:05 PM

Closed

Xfinity stream closed caption on firestick

My Xfinity stream app on Firestick defaults to on every time I turn on the TV or change channels.  Everything I’ve read here refers to changing the option under accessibility settings.  However, my settings do not have that option. The only option I have under accessibility is about video descriptions. I know how to navigate and turn it off during the program, but I have to do this every time.  I cannot find any setting where I can have it default to off. Any help is appreciated.  

Official Employee

• 

455 Messages

3 years ago

Hello @mgriff I do hate to hear that this has been giving you so much trouble. It sounds as though that you might need to update your Firestick. To do this,

Navigate to Settings. ...

1. Select My Fire TV. ...
  2. Choose About.
  3. Choose either “Check for Updates” or “Install Update.”
  4. Hit Select on your remote. ...
  5. Wait for updates to be installed. ...
  6. Installing the update will take from 5-15 minutes, depending on your internet connection.

I hope that this helps. 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

@XfinityRobertA​ Thank you for your reply. Both Fire Sticks show as being up to date. No change. The problem still exists. 

Official Employee

• 

455 Messages

@mgriff I am sorry that didn't work for you. Have you tried resetting the Firestick itself by chance? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Yes.  I have done that as well.  Very strange that there is no way to set the default and I don’t even see that as an option.  Please note, this is occurring on 2 separate Firesticks connected to 2 separate TVs. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Thanks for the informaiton mgriff, have you tried your app on another device other than the TV's and Fire Sticks? If so do you get the same error? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

It does not do this when watching on my phone.  No problems there.  

I would like to point out, I just replaced one of my Fire Sticks with the new 4K Max version.  The same issue exists on this Fire stick.  It did all necessary updates during the installation. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

i found that the firestick has a default setting to always turn on closed caption if available on the playing video.  it is under firestick>settings>accessibility>closed caption.

i believe that the many people having this problem on different devices are blaming the xfinity app, when the solution is actually in the media player device.  IOS has a similar setting under settings>accessibility>subtitles&captioning.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@rmswenson747​ thanks, this solved this issue on my Firestick.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here