erm54's profile

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

Tuesday, May 9th, 2023 6:20 AM

Closed

Xfinity Stream app on LG TVs: Xfinity Stream app background images popping up randomly

For the last 2-3 months (at least that I can remember) a photo image pops up on the TV completely blocking whatever you are watching. The audio stills go on as normal, but all you see is that image!

At first I had no idea where these images (at least 2) were coming from because I couldn't remember seeing them before. I thought the TV was doing it, but the only images they have on the TV are quite different. Then I realized one day it was from the Stream app itself.

I would say this happens from 1 to 3 times per day. And the only way to clear it is to hit the back button on the TV remote to get back to the guide, then select what you want to watch again ... but that is a pain as you have to stop watching and then get back in, so you always miss some portion of what you were watching. This also occurs while you are watching a recording off the DVR list too, but at least there you can rewind it to what you missed and start over.

This happens on 2 different LG TVs that I have and is always just random.

The TVs are both updated to the latest versions of WebOS for them and the latest version of the Stream app is also on both.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

1 year ago

Hello, @erm54! Thanks for posting on our community forums. I appreciate the detailed information and your attempts at troubleshooting this on your own. It's always a good start. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Xfinity App? Is this only happening when using your LG TVs? Or have you tried using other devices (laptop, tablet, cellphone)? Do you know if the same issue persists with other devices too? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityDilary

Just happened 😔
Even get the mini menu when I hit the down arrow yet the image stays unless I change the channel or hit back.

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

1 year ago

@XfinityDilary thanks for the quick response!

I have tried uninstalling the Stream app after this started and it didn't have an impact at the time, but I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling recently. 

So far I have only noticed it on the LG TVs.

While I use the Stream app on my phone a fair amount I usually don't use it there for extended periods of times. But when I mentioned it to my daughter she said she had not seen it, so didn't know exactly what I was talking about. But just then it popped up on the TV I have in the bedroom and I showed her then. She uses the Stream app on her phone a lot and, as I mentioned, she had not seen it until I showed her that day. When here, she usually only watches the TV in the family room and only off the X1 DVR box. 

I could try uninstalling the app from the TVs and reinstalling again to see if it makes a difference. But since it is random I have no idea exactly when it will happen next. But since it seems to happen at least once a day on one of the TVs, if it goes 2,3,4 days and I don't see it, then it might be fixed.

There has also been a 2nd issue with the Stream app in the last couple weeks, that's related to the guide. I'll see if reinstalling the app clears that up. If not, I'll post a seperate question about it. (editted to add this last part)

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

Thanks for the update! We will be here on standby while you try reinstalling and look forward to your followup.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

@XfinityTambrey , The reinstalling of the Stream app didn't fix the problem.

While watching a recording one of the photos popped up on the screen and I had to back out, then start watching again.

It also didn't fix the guide issue I've had, so I'll post a sepaprate question about that.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

Does it tend to pop up after an extended period of time like the screensaver?

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

@XfinityTambrey, I thought about that too, but 2 things: there is no screensaver in the Stream app for LG TVs and the program continues in the background as you can hear all the audio. If you were only listening you wouldn't even know that there was a static image on the screen.

Since the images popping up are from the Stream app itself, it has nothing to do with the TV screensaver. And the TV screensaver only comes on if I don't actively have an app stream something, like I open an app and just leave it on the opening screen. And when that does happen (seet to 1 hour), it's always the TVs screensaver related images. And if I touch a button on the remote it immediately pops back to the opening menu screen or whatever.

If I turn on the TV and don't open an app, the TV simply turns itself off after about 30 minutes.

These images only pop up when the Stream app is streaming, they've never popped up when I've left it sitting on the opening menu or guide, etc.

And no, it does not happen only after an extended period of time. It happens randomly and has popped up as quickly as 5 minutes after I started watching something or 3 hours after. It may only happen once, but has happened as often as 3 times in a 1 hour period. And it is usually happening every day now.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

I appreciate the detailed information, @erm54! I know our X1 boxes have a screensaver setting. But our streaming app doesn't have that option available. You mentioned the Streaming app keeps playing, and you can hear the audio while the picture is blocking the screen, am I correct? Have you tried checking the LG screensaver settings to see if there is an option to disable it? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I just got an update today. It seems to be fixed now. Thanks for hearing us and escalating appropriately.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_60a920​ An automatic update or did someone reach out to you? 

Problem Solver

• 

672 Messages

@user_60a920 Have you noticed if it happened again since you last responded? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Same exact same thing happens to us too. The Xfinity app is glitchy. The audio continues and it shows the Xfinity photo. The only way to get rid of it is to back out and select the program again. It’s very frustrating. It’s happening randomly. Makes no sense. Any ideas on a fix?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_75cbae​ Me too. I’m so annoyed with this. It’s clearly an Xfinity issue.

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

@user_405eae​, @user_75cbae, @user_60a920, @XfinityDilary 

I haven't seen an update to the Xfinity Stream app recently, but I did get an update to the LG WebOS on both TVs.

Xfinity Strean app version 1.16.0     (I did recently uninstall & re-install the app on both TVs)

LG WebOS verion 04.41.35

I still have the issue on both TVs.

And on my TVs it pops up while I'm watching a channel or while I'm watching a recording from the DVR, both at random times and it has not had anything to do with a specific channel, or a specific time, or a program change, etc. It has hap[pened just once in a day and as many as maybe 5-6 times in a day.

And since the images are from within the Stream app itself I do believe it's an app issue.

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

@user_75cbae

Is this issue still going on for you? It looks like one of the users said an update was made, that corrected this. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue. Thank you.

New Problem Solver

• 

617 Messages

Hi @user_405eae

Thank you for letting us know you are also experincing this issue. Can you confirm if this issue is still present? 

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

1 year ago

I have not seen this issue on my 2 LG TVs recently at all. I'm assuming at this time that they found the cause and corrected it.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@erm54​ it definitely seems like that have fixed it.  I haven’t seen the issue in some time.

Now if I can get my LG to stop losing wifi connection when every other device is fine.  That’s not xfinity’s fault.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here