GA_Frustrated's profile

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, February 2nd, 2023 2:35 PM

Closed

OS Update Required?

Why do I keep getting the message OS Update Required on my Amazon Fire Stick? This has been popping up for at least the past week or two. I’ve done everything possible except delete and reinstall the app. What’s going on?

Official Solution

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

2 years ago

@GA_Frustrated Thank you for reaching out to the Digital Care Team. I hate to hear this has been your experience. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer for support with the Fire Stick. They can be reached at 1-888-280-4331. 

Additionally, we recommend verifying that your Fire Stick meets our Xfinity Stream App minimum system requirements and ensure you have the latest app/OS updates on your device. Below you will find those Amazon Fire Device requirements as of today.  

Amazon Fire Device Requirements

SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

To download the Xfinity Stream app in the Amazon Appstore, your Amazon Fire TV, Fire Stick or tablet devices must be running Fire OS 6 or later.

SUPPORTED XFINITY STREAM APP VERSIONS

To access and watch all content, Xfinity Stream app version 7.4.1 or later is required. Please visit the Amazon Appstore to download the latest version.

For additional information about the Xfinity Stream App minimum system requirements, please see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

Firestick version 5.2.9.3 is no longer supported. You will need a newer version.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Save yourself some time everyone, the message you get when trying to open Xfinity app now says you need a fire stick version of 06 or greater.  To look up what you have (since I had no idea) go to the home and search for Informer app, it’s free to download, it’ll tell you what fire stick operating system you have.  Mine was 05 so I know I need a new one ([Edited: "Language"] Having to spend the money, it should update on its own, I’m writing a complaint letter to Comcast/xfinity).  I think you could also go to your fire stick settings and look it up.  Hope this helps.  

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Same issue for me, deleted and reinstalled the app, fire stick is all updated to latest version FireOS 5.2.9.3 and still can't use the app. I don't see why this is a fire stick issue as everything else is working fine on it. This is an app issue and the app developer (Xfinity) needs to update the app or explain how to get it working on the fire stick.

The update message the stream app throws, indicates that you need version 5 of FireOS at least so maybe that is a clue since I already have version 5 of FireOS - perhaps the message is wrong and we need a higher version that is not possible on the generation 2 fire stick with Alexa that I have...

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @J_Vigilante, thanks for reaching out to our team on Forums. As mentioned by CCHeather, we recommend ensuring your device meets the Xfinity Stream app minimum system requirements. Based on your message, it appears you would need to update your device's OS to Fire OS 6 or later. If you have made the update and continue to experience issues, we can certainly look into this further and attempt to troubleshoot the issue. If this is the case, please send a direct message with your full name and address.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message
Let me know if you have any questions.

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Soooo do we have an update to this issue? My app still works but it problematic; has this issue been resolved for Any one else?

If it won’t work, I’m forced to cancel service which [Edited: "Language"]!

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@J_Vigilante,​ I think your assessment of needing a higher version not possible on the 2nd gen stick is correct. I upgraded to the 4K Max Fire Stick and have had no issues.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@J_Vigilante​ you need OS 6

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same issues here. Tried everything and still receiving the OS Update required message. 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_0aff92. I see you are getting the same message on your end as well. Can I have more details about the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I am having the same issue with my Kindle Fire HD 10.  

the error message is asking me to update the iOS 5.0 or higher. I have FireOS 5.7.0.0, there are no updates found. 

I update the Xfinity app, it downloads, it takes me back to Xfinity, same message. 

I have turned off my tablet, no change, cleared cache, no change. I deleted Xfinity app and had a hard time finding it in the App Store again. I finally was able to find it and reinstalled, same error message.  I download again, still nothing. 

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

Oh no! I know how upsetting it can be when things don't work as expected.  Please delete the app and then clear the cache and cookies. Please let us know if the error remains. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Still not working. I also factory reset. 

I did notice the app to download is purple. When I download the black app is what appears. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 year ago

Hello everyone.

So sorry for this late response. I deleted and updated the Xfinity Stream app and ran all the updates on the Fire Stick with the same result.

Finally, I messaged Xfinity via Twitter and was informed that the issue was the OS version on my Fire Stick, which was 2nd generation. It was suggested by this Xfinity employer that I may need to get a newer, more recent version. I did just that and no longer get the OS Update Required message.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@GA_Frustrated​ how did you get the newest version?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Nothing worked on my end.  Forced to upgrade to the 4K firestick to resolve the Xfinity App OS update message.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here