willyesteban's profile

Regular Visitor

 • 

4 Messages

Mon, Dec 21, 2020 4:00 AM

iOS app won't rotate out from landscape

Version 6.4.0.1872 will play only in landscape. I'm able to get it to PiP mode, but once I restore the full screen mode, it displays in landscape mode, regardless of the phone's orientation. 

 

Changing the orientation of the phone does rotate the screen 180 degreee.

 

I've rebooted the phone and also reinstalled the app to no avial.

Any sugestions?

Responses

New Poster

 • 

2 Messages

5 m ago

The new app update removed the portrait option. I’ve also tried reinstalling, signing out, and restarting the phone. Still will not play in portrait mode and automatically goes to landscape.

I used to watch in portrait because I have a vertical wireless charger and have a portrait phone bike mount. I don’t want the other distractions of PiP and sometimes just want the video with the black bars on top and bottom with the option of landscape mode.

I’m very disappointed. Xfinity please bring this option back!
victrolux

Regular Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

5 m ago

Yes this is a terrible and annoying change in the app.

Regular Visitor

 • 

4 Messages

5 m ago

UPDATE - This may not be an xfinity problem. It may be an iOS problem. I've tested video playback with Netflix, Prime Video, and Peacock; those apps are doing the same thing. What I don't know is whether those apps were previously capable of playing in portrait mode.

BTW, the iPad-OS works OK.

W

victrolux

Regular Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

5 m ago

Yes I think that could be a possibility… I believe this phenomenon occurred possibly when I upgraded to iOS 14. But I’m not positive if that’s when it happened.

New Poster

 • 

2 Messages

4 m ago

@willyesteban unfortunately the other apps you mentioned (Netflix, Prime Video, Peacock) were never capable of playing in portrait mode. The Xfinity Stream app was the only one with the portrait option and it was removed with the newest update to the app, which came after iOS 14 was already out. 

If Xfinity could bring back the portrait mode option, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24K Messages

4 m ago


@AppReview wrote:

@willyesteban unfortunately the other apps you mentioned (Netflix, Prime Video, Peacock) were never capable of playing in portrait mode. The Xfinity Stream app was the only one with the portrait option and it was removed with the newest update to the app, which came after iOS 14 was already out. 

If Xfinity could bring back the portrait mode option, that would be greatly appreciated. 


hit the 'float' button and rotate to portrait. works while you use other apps. move it around to get out of the way.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
victrolux

Regular Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

4 m ago

The "float" thing is fine. But the problem is that if you are in portrait orientation and in the 'float' mode and you tap the 'fullscreen' icon, it goes full screen but immediately rotates the window to the landscape orientation... even tho you have not actually rotated the phone. so it forces you to have to rotate the phone to continue viewing. It didn't used to do that. Now it does. And it's unquestionably a problem. It's now a broken feature. It wasn't before.

Official Employee

 • 

2.5K Messages

4 m ago

Hi everyone. Did the suggestion from Rustyben work out OK for you all?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

4 m ago

The problem is the floating window is PIP which has all of the distracting background.

Previously, when rotating in portrait, there was black in the background behind the video.  

As a previous post noted, some chargers are do so in a cradle that holds the phone in  portrait mode.

Although PIP is a cool feature, in this case the inability to have the video play in the portrait mode without anything else in the background is not ideal.

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24K Messages

4 m ago


@joydog wrote:

The problem is the floating window is PIP which has all of the distracting background.

Previously, when rotating in portrait, there was black in the background behind the video.  

As a previous post noted, some chargers are do so in a cradle that holds the phone in  portrait mode.

Although PIP is a cool feature, in this case the inability to have the video play in the portrait mode without anything else in the background is not ideal.


new ios version of stream app is back to old ability to play either horizontal or portrait.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
victrolux

Regular Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

4 m ago

unless the new version of the app that you refer to hasn't made it's way to my iPhone... I see no change in the described behavior. not solved.

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24K Messages

4 m ago


@victrolux wrote:

unless the new version of the app that you refer to hasn't made it's way to my iPhone... I see no change in the described behavior. not solved.


select the 'hamburger' (stack of papers) icon and scroll to bottom and select gear. my version is 6.5.0.1906

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
victrolux

Regular Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

4 m ago

mine is 6.4.0.1872. maybe they are pushing updates systematically? or maybe I will delete my app and redownload it. thanks for that info!

 

victrolux

Regular Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

4 m ago

yay! bam!! I downloaded the update (6.5.0.1906) and it's solved!  Back to the previously properly functioning orientation behavior in both full screen and pip modes!  Thanks Rust!

New to the Community?

Start Here