U

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, December 5th, 2021 12:37 AM

Closed

Wifi HotSpot Security Profile Won’t Update

On my old iPhone SE, my Xfinity Hot Spot Security Profile had a certificate that had expired so I deleted the profile and tried to reload the profile using the hot spot app.  I get a response from Hotspot app that my security profile is current even though it has been deleted.  I have tried signing out of the app, resetting the phone, etc.  When I sign into an XFINITY hot spot, I will get a log in request with an Xfinity link as the User ID and blank password.  My Xfinity password does not work.  However if  replace the user ID with my User ID and then use my password it logs in.  I have to repeat these steps for every login despite auto login being checked.  I recently migrated to an iPhone 13 mini and problem has followed me.  Is there anyway to get a security profile pushed to my phone so I can install it and replace/update the profile and settings currently on the phone that I can’t seem to change.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

This is the solution to my question.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wifi-for-mac

Select the link in step 1.  It works for both IOS and MOS (Mac).  If you cut and paste the link it would not open in Safari for me.  You had to click the link.

You will be taken to a page requiring a Xfinity User ID and password.  Sign In.  This process determines what type of device you have and the type of certificate you need.

If an IOS device, it will take you to a download the Hotspot App page.  Don’t download the app, but select the “connect automatically without the app”.

If an MOS device and IOS device installing without the app it will take you to the Xfinity Wi-Fi Profile download page.  Select the “Download” option.

Go to settings and profile and install the downloaded profile.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

541 Messages

@user_830410, I'm so glad you were able to find this information, and that this resolved your concerns! Thank you for posting both the link and the details found in it for our Community as well. I appreciate your time and patience in working with us and researching through our support documents to find this information!

If there's anything else we can assist with, please let us know here at any time. Our Community Forums are a great resource for our amazing customers, and our team is here to help any time, 24/7. Thank you for being the very best part of Comcast, and have a wonderful day! -Macey

I no longer work for Comcast

Visitor

• 

1 Message

This is not a solution. It will only be a matter of time and the new certificate will expire and you'll go through all of this again. We had been playing this game for over a year then replaced Xfinity's unreliable Hotspot with T-Mobile. We are now in the process of moving back to ATT broadband. If you need mobile wifi, those solutions work. 

Administrator

• 

658 Messages

3 years ago

@user_830410

Thank you for joining the conversation here on the Xfinity Support Forums! Question; have you ever checked out this support article? It may actually have the answer you're looking for; How to Manage and Remove Registered Xfinity WiFi Devices

Employees can also de-provision your profile, which would give you a 'clean start', so to speak--though it would sign you out of all devices as a result, meaning you'd have to sign back in.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@XfinityBrie Thanks for the suggestion.  I have already done this and wiped the slate clean.  The two iPads popped back on the list when I logged them into a XFINITY wifi hotspot.  One of the iPads has the Security Profile and the other does not.  However the iPhones do not show up when I log in which really puzzles me.  

Currently I have and iPad with a Security Profile loaded and an iPad and two iPhones that had a Security Profile loaded, but was deleted, and will not reload. I get the certificate to trust on the iPhones but they never go to the profile download page so I can download the profile to the iPhone and then import it into the iPhone.  The iPad just asks for a login with a prefilled algorithm in the user id and I use my Xfinity Password and never goes to a certificate or to the Security Profile download page.

From a layman's perspective, it appears that the certificates were never deleted eleven though the profile has been deleted and no longer appears or the Mac address from the approved device is not being removed from the server and is prompting for a certificate login from a certificate that does not exist.

I'm sure I caused this problem by deleting the profiles, but it bothers me to trust expired certificates.  Another head scratcher with this problem is I used an Xfinity Hotspot in New Mexico with an iPad having this problem, and the iPad popped up with the Security Profile download page and I successfully downloaded and imported the Security Profile into the iPad.  Unfortunately, I have upgraded that iPad and no longer have it.

At the present time, I can successfully log into the XFINITY and Xfinitywifi Hotspots with both iPhones but cannot get to a Security Profile download page for either device nor do they popup on the Xfinity Wifi Hot Spot Registered Device List.  I can also successfully login to the XFINITY and Xfinitywifi Hotspots with both iPads however the iPad with the deleted Security Profile will show no internet connection on the Xfinitywifi Hotspot.  Both iPads do popup on the Xfinity WiFi Hot Spot Registered device List.

Puzzled, but not Defeated...

Administrator

• 

658 Messages

Definitely a puzzling one to say the least, has me scratching my head. We can try tweaking some changes on the back-end if you'd like though. We would have a little more wiggle room in that department, given the circumstances.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here