victor-xf's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:00 PM

ported from Google Voice, voice calls work, outgoing SMS/MMS work, incoming SMS/MMS only partly work

10 days ago I activated a new phone from Xfinity with a new line of service that included porting a number from Google Voice.

• Voice calls work fine, incoming and outgoing.
  • SMS and MMS outgoing work fine to every recipient I've tried.
  • SMS incoming works from some numbers, but not others.
  • MMS incoming may be working from other Xfinity mobile users (both Android and iPhone users), but no other numbers I've tried.

The MMS behavior doesn't seem to be any different whether I'm using mobile data or WiFi.

I've tried some solutions I've seen elsewhere, e.g. turning off VoLTE, turning off iMessage, no change in the incoming messaging problems.

After multiple phone calls with Xfinity support, none of the things we've tried together (repeatedly over the multliple calls to support) have helped, e.g. resetting network settings, rebooting the phone, removing the SIM for 40 seconds, reinserting and booting up the phone, waiting five days, and now waiting 10 days for things to work through the porting process.

An article from support.google.com on this type of issue says "Contact someone in their porting department [of the gaining mobile carrier] who understands that they need to update their text messaging aggregators with the new destination for your number."

During the most recent support call to Xfinity, I specifically told them I needed help from their porting department as directed by Google's support article, but the call got dropped while I was on hold as they were doing whatever and they didn't call me back even though the support person said they would call me if we got disconnected.

How do I contact the porting department?   I fear it would be pointless yet again to call the support number and spend another hour with them running me through the standard support tree that hasn't helped with this issue the first N times we've run through it.

Responses

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

6 m ago

Wow, all of a sudden incoming SMS & MMS are working on my number now.

I don't know if my support call the other day started something on Xfinity Mobile's backend actually started somthing that finally took effect, or if they automatically do periodic audits of newly ported in numbers to make sure all their service provisioning records are up to date, and if not, they are made so.

Anyway, WOOHOO!

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

6 m ago

Well, still not 100% functioning with some 2FA messages not coming through.

New to the Community?

Start Here