C

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Oct 11, 2021 3:45 PM

iPhone compatibility changed

I was using xfinity mobile with an iPhone 8. I had some coverage issues at work so I decided to try another network -- but decided to switch back to xfinity mobile within a matter of a few days. I couldn't actually make the switch back though because the same phone that I was using with xfinity mobile literally 3 days ago, is now all of a sudden considered incompatible with xfinity mobile network. To switch back to xfinity mobile, now I would basically have to get a new phone.

Customer support representative I talked to had no explanation for it. They told me that "compatibility is determined by an algorithm", which is a non-answer that doesn't explain why a phone that was compatible 3 days ago would be incompatible now.

It doesn't make any sense to me, but I was wondering if:

1. this has happened to anybody else, or
  2. anybody has any idea why this might happen? 

I considered the possibility that xfinity mobile now considers iPhone 8 too old but that doesn't seem to be the case. I checked my old iPhone SE (first generation, older generation than iPhone 8) IMEI, and that one is in fact compatible with xfinity mobile.

Responses

XfinityAbbie

Official Employee

• 

562 Messages

4 d ago

Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on Xfinity Community Forums. I am sorry to hear this happened. 

Xfinity Mobile support via social is currently limited, and we only have access to help with general questions about pricing, service offers, and basic troubleshooting available on https://comca.st/3mOEgaW.

If you still need assistance, you can contact our Xfinity Mobile support center via any of the following methods for account specific issues:

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityAbbie For what it's worth, I came here after talking to xfinity mobile support, who did not have an answer. More importantly, I don't think that this is an account-specific issue. What determines the eligibility of a phone for the xfinity mobile networks is a general question that should have a standard and transparent answer that applies to all users, not to specific accounts.

The crux of my issue is the question, what are the factors that make a phone eligible or ineligible for xfinity mobile? I would really appreciate it if you could answer that question for me. Thanks!

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thanks for the update. The compatibility can vary but I don't have any additional insight into what specific factors could play a role in whether a particular phone is compatible. We have a little more information here plus a way to check if a particular phone is compatible should you need to check in the future: https://comca.st/3ABDEtX. Sorry I don't have more specifics to share. 

New to the Community?

Start Here