erm54's profile

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

Tuesday, April 25th, 2023 12:58 AM

Closed

Xfinity App Issues: Renaming and Removing Devices

​I've ran into 2 issues lately, and while they may seem different, they are directly related.​

​Last year I posted a question about how to delete devices on the xfinity gateway after the ability to do that directly on the gateway was removed and telling the xfinity app to remove the device did not remove it on the gateway. That post was just closed with no answer.​

​Now there is another issue that is related.​

​When a new device is found by the app, you can rename that device in the app (the gateway does not allow you to rename it directly on the gateway,  same as you can't delete it). I renamed a device in the app and the app sees that device with that name, but the gateway still shows it with the original name it auto-assigned only.  Then the app "finds" the device again with the original auto-assigned name and asks you to assign it to a person again, etc... The app shows the device with both the original name and the name you changed it to. And you can't change that.  Only fix is to forget the device you renamed and only use the original auto-assigned name. ​

​If you are not going to let us delete devices on the gateway, then fix the app so it deletes them on the gateway when we tell it to forget a device in the app.​

​And if you are going to have an option to "rename" a device in the app, then it has to pass that name change to the gateway or you end up with 2 device names in the app.​

​Very frustrating.​

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

1 year ago

Hello! Our team would like to get a ticket in motion for this issue.

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

1 year ago

@XfinityThomasB, I did connect with techs thru direct messaging and tried all they suggested and they tried an account relink or something, but nothing seems to have changed. Although the one device that kept popping up in the Xfinity app with the original hostname long after I had renamed it, did stop popping up just before I contacted them.

But, Thursday (4/11) morning at 10:15am I received a message from the Xfinity app saying a new device had connected. I thought that was strange as I was the only one home and I had no new devices. I checked and it said it was a Galaxy Tab 4. After checking the device info in the app, I was still wondering what the device was. Then I remembered my neighbor had come over last year and asked for some help with setting up a new Galaxy Tab she had bought, so I assumed it may have been her outside in her yard or something and had picked up my gateway rather than her own or something.

So I told the Xfinity app to forget the device. It did remove it from the not connected list .. but it was still popping up asking me to assign the new device...

I restarted the app, same thing. I shutdown my phone and restarted it, then I opened the app, same thing.

I then connected directly to my gateway in the browser on my PC and it was listed there as a auto-detected device, not connected. I went into the MAC filtering and told it to not allow that MAC to connect. It was listed there as not being allowed to connect, but since we can't delete devices on the gateway, it was still listed as a not connected device.

Waited ... 6 hours - checked, 8 hours later - checked, the Xfinity app was still asking me to assign the newly detected device...

Can't say that at this early hour on Friday that it is still asking that as Comcast has taken down our services here for maintainence - so the Xfinity app just says there's an outage. But, I will check again tomorrow.

Just thought I would post an update.

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

1 year ago

@XfinityThomasB, Just an update after another 14 hours:

The attached screenshot shows that the Xfinity app is still notifying me about the Galaxy Tab 4 even though I told it to "forget" that device 29 hours earlier and then blocked it on the gateway from ever connecting again. The Xfinity app does not show it as connected or not connected, it just displays the popup about it.

So, my guess is there is some reason it takes a long period of time to clear those popups in the Xfinity app or the Xfinity app continues to pick up the hostname from the gateway since devices are never really deleted from there. Or some combination of things or ...

Does the Xfinity app continue to display the same popup messages until we have closed them multiple times? Because I have clicked the X in the upper right corner a couple times yesterday, but will do again today. Seems any messages about devices should go away if the device has gone away.

(edit update)
hhmm, that might be the problem. After clicking the X again today, it currently is not displaying the message about that device after closing and opening the app again. It should just go away after the first time and also if we tell the app to forget the device. Will monitor to see if it comes back. But it would still be nice if we could actually delete devices off the gateway.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

1 year ago

@XfinityThomasB , I thought maybe the the one issue about the Xfinity app continuing to display a notifcation about new devices being found (after I had already renamed it or assigned it to someone) as there had been several app updates pushed out and the notifications went away after the first appearance had been cleared.

But since then at least 2 more Xfinity app updates have been pushed out after that and now the notifications are popping up again after I had previuosly assigned them and cleared the notification.

I bought a new WiFi connected AC unit last weelk and installed it, connected it to the WiFi, and then assigned in the Xfinity app after it popped up the notification. For a few days after that everything seemed fine. Then yesterday I noticed the notification was popping up AGAIN in the app...this occured after the latest update to the app was installed. If you check the details it shows it has already been assigned, so it should know it isn't a "new device" to the app!

I have cleared it again now and will see if it clears up, again. But it should only be displaying a notification about a "new device" when it's really a new device and not one that has already been assigned in the app.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Also I guess we're not allowed to rename devices as it undesignates the category after. For example I changed the device name for my Xbox to My Xbox n it won't let me label it as a game console anymore just "misc device"... Even if I change it back to what it was it still stays misc device 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here