QFNi's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, May 4th, 2020 8:00 PM

Closed

Xfi Pause feature is useless

The Xfi pause feature is useless, I had already set up a schedule for devices to disable their access to the internet yet the devices are still able to access the internet, just ran a test earlier but it seems the only way to pause the devices is the "forget" the devices and reconnect them then the pause feature  "Until I Unpause" seems to be the only option to stop the devices' access to the internet the other 3 option doesn't even seem to pause the devices, had to wait like a full min before the devices lose access to the internet, plz fix this, it is really getting on my nerves that I can't do a scheduled pause on the devices, hoping that it will have no access to the internet.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

26 Messages

4 years ago

I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulty in regards to certain features associated with the xFi App. I would like to share a document with you, that will walk  you through the steps to pause and unpause your devices, via the Xfinity xFi App. These are documented instructions on how to pause and unpause a device using the Xfinity xFi App. We do appreciate and thank you for all feedback that is provided, in order to improve our product and it's features. If you have any further questions, please let us know. The instructions are as follows:

Pausing and Unpausing Devices

Pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to your home network. In-progress activity might not stop immediately. Access to local network devices (like printers) and connections that use cellular data or other WiFi networks won't be paused.

Pause

• To pause an individual device, simply select the unpaused device and then select Pause Device.
  • To pause all devices under a profile, select the profile you wish to pause and select Pause All Devices.
  • You can pause the device(s) for a specific amount of time (for example, 30 minutes, one hour or two hours) or indefinitely until you choose to unpause.
  • The Pause function only pauses WiFi access on your home network and does not impact access to using cellular data, a public Xfinity WiFi hotspot or other available WiFi networks. When attempting to access the Internet on a paused device, the user will see the device's default message that the site cannot be reached or that it is not connected to the Internet.

Unpause

• To unpause a device (if the device is individually paused), select the paused device under Paused in the Devices section, then select Unpause Device.
  • If the device is assigned to a profile that is paused, select that profile, then select Unpause All Devices.
  • If the device is paused by Downtime, select the profile where the device is assigned, then select Wake Up.
  • This will unpause all devices assigned to the profile until the next schedule.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Your response to this customer is a bit...well, let's put it this way; I have the same issue and your "solution" doesn't solve the problem.

The problem is that a device that is "Paused" is still able to access the network. Stating that a device is "Paused" implies that we already know HOW to pause the device. What we don't know is WHY is the "Paused" device still able to access the wifi.

A "Paused" device should not have access to the wifi. And yet, it continues to do so.

Now that we've cleared that up, please assist with this issue;

Why does a "Paused" device still have access to the wifi?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the same problem that a device that is “paused” still can access internet

The xFinity app shows the device being paused..., but you can still fully access internet with the device

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Is there an answer to this question? Everyone says they cannot pause their devices, but I do not see an actual explanation of how to get this resolved.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Ironically, I found this forum on a "paused" device, and am typing this post on the same device after following the instructions that were posted above. Please find a way to resolve this, otherwise I'm returning the router, buying a new one, and finding an internet management software that actually does what it says it does.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Why is this marked as "solved?"  I am having the same problem and clearly this doesn't solve it as can be seen by the other responses as well?  

I am eager to see a solution to the problem as the ability to limit my kids internet access to appropriate times and amounts was a key selling point to upgrading to Xfi...

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Yeah this is not an answer. I’m as frustrated as these other users.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

agreed - am trying to pause the TV so my teenager cannot watch and i literally will have to unplug the router to make it work. it does work on her Surface laptop and Mac though. Just not on the TV.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @, thank you for reaching out in our forum for help with pausing your devices. I can imagine how handy this tool would be with a teenager, so I get why you want to work on this. Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you follow the steps listed above? Also, is it just this one device that's giving you issues? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Hello, is there a solution now to pausing devices? My children keep on using their laptops when it is paused. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I find that the devices are unpaused when I go in a day or two later without me hitting unpause.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just want to throw in that I also cannot get this function to work properly. What I usually do is restart the modem and they will walk away from the device. However if they try again it will probably work. It's very unreliable.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Dear customer service,

We did not ask instructions as how to pause a device. Please confirm why the device is able to connect to internet after pausing through xfi app. Hope you are understanding when everyone else could. It seems like a bug but at least give us a work around.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Ok Customer Service obviously you cannot read!!!!

all these people here including myself are having the same issue.

WE KNOW HOW TO PAUSE AND UNPAUSE DEVICES 

The problem is... for example I paused my sons iPad I actually have him on a schedule turn on and off. But this morning he is on his iPad watching YouTube on his iPad and the internet access is not supposed to come on until 10am because of the schedule I have set up through the app.  It doesn’t matter if if it’s connected to the 2.4 or the 5 it still works when paused.

HOW DO WE FIX THE PROBLEM?????

SINCE WE ARE ALL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE BUT NO SOLUTION HAS YET TO BE GIVEN.

Why have a feature if it’s not gonna work or there is a back door around it????

Contributor

• 

150 Messages

3 years ago

Anyone home at Xfinity?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here