preussed's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 28th, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Xfi Access Not Authorized

When I try to login through Xfinity Xfi to acess my modem settings it tells me "Access not Authorized You signed in successfully, but you must be an Xfinity user to enjoy this service.". I am obviously an Xfinity User.

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @preussed 

Can you all log into https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/account/linked-accounts and ensure you've set the "primary" account to your latest address? 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Hey not sure if you were ever able to resolve this, but I came across your post when I was having this same issue earlier this week and finally found a workaround that I wanted to share with you in case you still were having this issue!

What worked for me was signing in on the xfinity website (where you go to pay your bill online, etc.) and going to the "My Account" tab in the top left. Once you've done that, click on the tab labeled "Users" and select the option to "Add a New User" (there should be a blue plus sign in a circle next to this option). It will bring you to a page titled "Assign a user role" with three different options. Go ahead and click the bubble next to "Manager" to select this option (it should be the first one) and then click "Continue" in the bottom right. It should take you to a page to fill out information for this additional user. You'll want to make sure this information is different from the Primary account holder's information, so just be sure that whatever you enter for this new user's name and contact info is different from the information you used when setting up your primary account. (Since billing is tied to the primary account holder's info and not additional users added to the account, you should have no problem with just entering a fake name here, so just put something distinctive and different from the name that is already on the account.) When filling in the contact info, you only have to fill in at least one of the two options, so you can put either a mobile phone number or an email address, but again whatever you put here should be distinct from the contact info already listed for the primary account holder, so use a secondary email if you have one or if you never added you mobile phone number as a contact method for your primary account you can use that instead.

Once you have filled out the contact info, go ahead and click the "Send Invite" button in the bottom right to send a link to the contact method you listed for this user. You'll have to click the link sent to the mobile phone number or email you listed in order to verify the account and set a password (password can be whatever you want, probably doesn't matter if it is different from the primary account password, but for security reasons would be good to have them be unique). Once you've done that, the new user account should be all set up and good to go! Make sure you have the account info for this new user written down somewhere safe (either the email address or phone number you used and the password) because you will need to login as this new user to try and access xFi (either from your browser or in the app).

So now that you have this additional user set up with the Manager role, sign out of your account if you are signed in as the primary account holder (check the name in the top right if you're not sure). When signing back in, make sure that you click "sign in as someone else" if it tries to make you sign in with the primary account holder's information. Once you are at the login screen, put in the account info for the new user and sign in. If you're in the app, you should be good to go now if it worked! If you're on the website, click the WiFi symbol in the top right to take you to xFi and see if it lets you in now. Hopefully you won't have the "Account not Authorized" message anymore and can access xFi as this new user!

I should note that this is very much a workaround, as this did not fix the issue of my primary account still not being able to access xFi, so hopefully Xfinity can figure out what is causing the problem in the first place. But in the meantime, this is what helped me access xFi and I hope that it can help you as well!

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @derfwert,

Thanks for posting this, however we don't recommend using up your contact point to create another identity, it causes confusion with certain folks who then aren't able to access the right identity (e.g. if I have a gmail and a yahoo and my primary is using the gmail and I invite a secondary to a yahoo, I may forget that the gmail is my primary vs my yahoo).

We recommend trying a few things prior to doing this (and there's an easier way rather than inviting yourself and using a contact point - as the primary you can create a viewer and promote them up to Manager/Member).

1. Ensure you're signed in to the correct Xfinity ID associated with your current account (oftentimes, customers may attemp to use an email but that's tied to an old email, while their current identity is actually tied to their mobile phone number). You can always check using www.xfinity.com/id 
  2. Sign out and sign back in if you're linked. You will be prompted with the correct Xfinity ID. Check to see if you're linked to a prior account or another current account where you may not have xFi.
  3. Post here and we'll take a look at your account to triage. Just because a few people have the same symptoms may not necessarily mean it's all due to the same root cause. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I just fixed this problem for myself! What I did was go to xfinity.com/getstarted. From there, I used my used the last 4 of my social and then my new phone number. It turns out that my email account was associated with my old phone number so they couldn't pull up my account. When I tried finding my xfinity ID again this time using my new phone number (instead of the SSN route), they found my other account (with my old phone number) and asked if I wanted to link accounts. I said yes. After that, everything was fixed! The app worked and I had my router and WiFi up and running within the next 10 mins. 

If someone's having the "access not authorized" problem, it's probably because of mismatched info for the same account confusing the system (different emails for the same phone numbers, or different phone numbers for the same email). Going through xfinity.com/getstarted will allow you to link the accounts. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am having this issue. Please add me to the triage list. I have spent 5 hours talking to support now and have gotten nowhere. I am excited to use my new internet, but this is extremely frustrating.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here