U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, October 10th, 2022 8:52 PM

Closed

wifi password keep resetting to default

For reasons that I cannot determine, my wifi password keeps resetting to the default password originally issued by Comcast.  At this point it happens almost daily and is very frustrating.  Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Problem Solver

• 

311 Messages

2 years ago

Hello @user_4cdcd7 we apologize for the constant reset of the password.

Depending on the gateway you have, our earlier generations of xFi Gateways were "dual band," meaning that they broadcast two separate radio bands for their WiFi network — a 2.4 GHz band and a 5 GHz band. The next generation xFi Advanced Gateway (XB8) is “tri-band”, meaning it broadcasts three separate radio bands — 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz, with WiFi 6E.

To learn more about xFi Gateways.

Historically, you were encouraged to use a different WiFi name and password for each band. You then had to choose which band your devices should connect to. Knowing which would provide the best connection and performance was guesswork.

That’s now changed. With the advanced intelligence of xFi Gateways, using the same name and password for the 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6GHz (if applicable) bands lets the Gateway sort out which one will provide a better connection at any given time. You will still have all bands and all the associated functionality, channels and range. However, by using the same WiFi name and password for all, devices will connect seamlessly to the most optimal band at any given time. This is called "band steering."

Make sure to Open a web browser, go to http://10.0.0.1, and sign in and check and see if the passwords or names of the 2.4/5ghz signal are different as shown on Xfinity's wifi "edit" page. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityFelicia​ I appreciate your response, unfortunately I only see the 2.4

Problem Solver

• 

393 Messages

@user_4cdcd7 Thank you for the response and the clarification. When visiting the 'Connect' tab on the Xfinity app, are you able to click on the Wifi network(s) and select 'View or edit Wifi settings' to see the listed password and change it from there?

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I change the password on the app and it keeps changing back. I cannot go on  10.0.01 page because it keeps going back to default name before i can connect to my wifi name. 

Problem Solver

• 

788 Messages

Thanks for supplying those details. Are you experiencing the same issue if you go through the website? Specific steps for multiple different ways of changing your wifi network name and password can be found through this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password. Are you having the issue when attempting to change the password on multiple devices? For example are you using the same computer each time to reset the password etc? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here