tbill1's profile

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

Wednesday, July 10th, 2024 10:11 PM

Using the Xfinity App to activate

Hi,

I am going to attempt a replacement of my modem on Monday.  I assume somewhere in the process

I will be asked for a Network name and password.  Do I enter the default Network and password that is on the back of the Gateway,

or do I name my own Network and my own personal password at that time?  Also, I have a CMAC address and a HFC Mac address.

Which one do I use?   Thanks in advance...

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

3 months ago

Hello tbill1, thanks for coming to our Forum for help with your modem activation questions. Our Xfintiy app has made it super easy to activate and Xfinity gateway or your own modem. Do you have an active account with us already, or activating equipment on a new account? Also, are you using your own device or an Xfinity gateway? 

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

I am always congratulated for being a 40 year customer. I will be replacing an older self owned modem with a newer 

self owned model gateway . The reasons being that I have started having random drops of 1-5 minutes and my old modem isn't capable

of the speeds I am paying for. So I would still appreciate having my 2 questions answered.  Thanks in advance.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@tbill1 I appreciate your time spent with us these last 40 years. I also would like to thank you for sharing the reason why you're looking to swap out your modem.

To answer your questions; 

You would need to submit your existing Network name and password.

You will use the CMAC address.

I would be more than happy to help troubleshoot your internet issues before you go through the process of activating your own modem. All I need if for you to send a DM by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section in order to get started.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

Hi Raul,

Are you sure about using the existing Network name? Because I have been told by another network rep

that I should  use the new Gateway default network name and password and then change it later to what I want.

I haven't had to login to my network in years and I am not sure of the password.  Will the activation work if I use the new 

Gateway network name and password?

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

tbill1, This hyperlink can help walk you through all the steps to Activate your Modem. If you need to Reset Your Password, this hyperlink will help you. However, to answer your question, I would recommend using your current network name, but you're free to use the one listed on the modem or even create a new one. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

646 Messages

I'm a little confused..you sent me a link to reset my Xfinity password-which I'm sure is different from my

Wifi Network Password. But if I can use the new Arris network info , then I won't have to worry about it. Thanks

for the fast reply.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here